Chimney cap suitability

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got a guy here up on my roof at the moment to remove a spinning chimney cowl like this as it bangs loudly when there's wind.

40c6cfbe-f907-4f32-a578-60d4b1494cd7__43890.1570104120.jpg

He's brought along one of these to replace it with

Chimney-Pots-Cowls-Hepworth-Terracotta-Ventilation-Terminal-Flue-Vent-Red-180mm~W2828_861625_00

I'm a bit concerned because when I look at these on the net, every description says they are for redundant flues only.

I've said this to the guy and reminded him that we have a gas fire at the bottom of this chimney and he just replied "yeah it'll be alright, there's holes in it to let the air out"

I don't really want to be gassed out by carbon monoxide next winter when I put the gas fire on so can someone let me know if this is OK or not?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for the reply.

Well he's fitted it but I once again reiterated my doubt that this was correct. He's said he's going to check it out tonight and come back with a different type if it needs changing.

As per data.....these are for maintaining air circulation in redundant flues and not suitable for you.
Check out the Travis Perkins website for alternatives.
John :)

Sponsored Links
OK, he's just rung me and said he's going to go to screwfix tomorrow and come back with a metal one.

Looks to me like the only type that they sell which is suitable for gas, if I don't want another spinny one (I don't), is this:

ae235

So let's see what he turns up with.

The flue cap should be specified by a gas safe registered installer and tested once fitted.
Depending on which gas appliance it is you are venting will determine what type of cap is fitted.
Get the guy to remove the terminal and get someone in who knows what they are doing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back