Chimney construction

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am in the process of a kitchen refurb, and am in the process of taking out a flue from an old gas fire. There is no chimney breast downstairs, so the back of the gas fire (which is in the dining room) protrudes into the kitchen and the flue then runs straight up, as can be seen in these pictures.

I have lifted the floor boards in the bedroom above the kitchen. There is cupboard on the right hand side, and the left hand side is also hollow (there is a cupboard in the next room), so only about a metre in the centre of the wall is solid.

There is a void under most of hollow sections of the wall, but under the solid section there is a boxed in area (which extends a bit under the hollow sections too).

In the loft the chimney looks like this

So, to recap:

* On the ground floor, the wall is solid, but standard thickness, with no hint of a chimney breast.
* On the first floor, the wall is hollow all the way to the ceiling to the left and right of the chimney, and the chimney is about a metre wide, and the same depth as the chimney in the loft.
* The chimney in the loft is much wider than it is on the first floor.
* The flue in the kitchen runs into, and is completely contained within, the boxed area under the bedroom floor.

I haven't measured it exactly but I believe that the boxed in area under the floor boards sits approximately above the red line in the image below.

I had always wondered exactly how the chimney was supported (due to the lack of chimney on the ground floor).

Can anybody please give me any pointers on the type of construction that has been used for the chimney?

Could it simply be a gallows bracket in the boxed in area?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back