Chimney lining?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A fried had a big chimney fire quiet last year, fire brigade round etc all very dramatic. Afterwards the insurance payed for the chimney repair and lining (it wasn't lined before). Yesterday she had a sweep round who also happens to chimney lining who said that the whole chimney is clogged up with "resin" (she burns wood) and the liner is solid pipe and its dangerous. Now i doubt it is and maybe it would be best to get a pure chimney sweep round who's not after a job relining (she cant afford the £700 he said he would charge) she is facing a cold winter!. ... Well is solid chimney lining now considered dangerous?

Sponsored Links
Talking only as a home-owner and solid fuel stove user, I'd definitely get a second opinion on that "resin". We have been warned not to burn too much resinous wood like cypress and yew for this very reason, the advice is to stick to harder woods like ash, beech etc, which burn hotter and cleaner. The other advice we have received is to ensure the wood is well dried and when burning wood to keep the airwash open so as to ensure adequate oxygen and high combustion temperatures - it's the same principle as not running a car engine too rich - you get black petrol fumes.

Now I have no experience of cleaning a flue that's clogged with resin but I'd like to have a couple of expert opinions on it before committing myself to the cost of a re-line.

I've just found this, which makes interesting reading on resin or creosote:

http://www.thefarm.org/charities/i4at/surv/woodburn.htm

Thanks for that i will pass it on. My friend uses wood on principle, she says its carbon neutral and the "green option". He last chimney fire has made her very nervous of even lighting the fire, and its getting cold!... I'm not sure what wood she uses, i will ask. thanks again.

I have a feeling that she is burning resinous wood in a grate designed for coal. I have had a Scandinavian iron stove designed for "multifuel" that would burn coal, or wood, I believe they are supposed to burn off the smoke in some way at a higher internal temperature than an open grate.

Sponsored Links
I think - and again you'd need to check this - that the only difference between a coal stove and a multi-fuel or wood burner is the ventilation arrangements. Our Douvre 500 has an extra vent at the top of the door, which allows air to flow through a narrow slit and down across the glass, to keep it clear of tar. This is called the airwash and the instructions advise you to keep this fully or partly open all the time so as to keep the glass clear and ensure plenty of oxygen is available for a hot clean burn.

If your friend burns wood all the time, how long does she season it for and what kind of wood does she burn?

Surely coal is also "carbon neutral", although in a much longer term?

Yes as i understand it Coal needs air from beneath while wood burns best this only air from above... As for carbon neutrality I'm not sure what its about, as you said in the grand design of thing coal is carbon neutral, only trouble is its carbon neutral in geological time and not human time lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back