Chimney problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone advise me on this problem and what course of action I should take?

My carbon monoxide alarm went off last sat so I turned off my gas fire, opened the windows and got kids out of room.

Thinking the chimney needed to be swept as it was last done in 2000 when the fire was installed, I contacted the chimney sweep who came around yesterday. He was unable to get up chimney more than 8ft and asked if I had had any work done (I hadn't). My neighbour saw his van on my drive and knocked on door. She told him for last 2weeks she had been feeling sick and called gas board who could find nothing. We all trundled into her house as she told us that she had some building work done approx 4 yrs ago. According to chimney it appears that flue have been interrupted and blocked at 8ft and that chimney would have to be relined which would cost about 2k. He further advised that I should request CCTV inspection of chimney. The person who did the work is no longer in the country.
Does anyone know if I would be liable for the cost or even half if work was not carried out at my request? What if neighbours don't comply?
I have been in touch with my insurance company and apparently I don't have accidental cover and if I did faulty workmanship is excluded!

Sponsored Links
Well you should get it fixed that is for sure.

If you and your neighbour are in agreement about who caused the damage then the cost should really be born by whoever created the problem, and that could mean your neighbour if she employed the offending tradesman. So long as you are all agreed, there is no need to involve the legal leeches!

You need to find out what actually needs doing to repair the flue and that starts with what is it made of. What flues gases go up it i.e. Is it just for gas fires or solid fuel as well?

What work was done that you think had an impact?

I don't think she thinks that she has done anything wrong! In fact from conversation I had with her earlier on she believes she is not culpable. Wondering if some building regs have been breeched especially as we could have been killed by her doing work on the cheap! Am waiting for her husband to call around and discuss!

Sponsored Links
I don't think she thinks that she has done anything wrong! In fact from conversation I had with her earlier on she believes she is not culpable. Wondering if some building regs have been breeched especially as we could have been killed by her doing work on the cheap! Am waiting for her husband to call around and discuss!

What exactly did the neighbour have done? Would assume you have a shared chimney, (half your side for your use, half neighbours side to service their house), for anything to be done to breach and indeed block your side must have been pretty major! (In which case you should have been notified under the Part Wall Act anyway!) :eek:

What exactly did the neighbour have done? Would assume you have a shared chimney, (half your side for your use, half neighbours side to service their house), for anything to be done to breach and indeed block your side must have been pretty major! (In which case you should have been notified under the Part Wall Act anyway!) :eek:

Know she had some cupboards removed but don't know exactly what else she had done. My ex husband remember building work being done as stuff was coming down our chimney! All I know is that as a result of the work she had done, the chimney has been blocked up, at no time were we made aware of this. All I can say is that I am so lucky I purchased a carbon monoxide alarm a few weeks ago otherwise we would all be dead! Good to know about the act. Thanks for that.

Doubt that removing cupboards would cause the chimney to be blocked.

Interesting to know what the 'other building work' is. I shouldn't be surprised if it was to be some cheap no-regs loft conversion that the neighbour doesn't want anyone to know about - but who knows?

Party Wall Act should have been applied by the neighbour at the time of the 'building work', as it was obviously on or against the party wall. But it's not relevant now.

think you will need to get CCTV to find out what the obstruction is. if it is an rsj from her side, then she would have to accept culpability.

Doubt that removing cupboards would cause the chimney to be blocked.

Interesting to know what the 'other building work' is. I shouldn't be surprised if it was to be some cheap no-regs loft conversion that the neighbour doesn't want anyone to know about - but who knows?

Party Wall Act should have been applied by the neighbour at the time of the 'building work', as it was obviously on or against the party wall. But it's not relevant now.

Think they did adapt their loft. Chimney sweep did stick his iPhone up the chimney and took photos. He said that he could see it was blocked. I think they did employ somebody to do the job on the cheap. Could turn out to be expensive for them in the long run. Now think I will need to go through legal channels!

think you will need to get CCTV to find out what the obstruction is. if it is an rsj from her side, then she would have to accept culpability.

Will be arranging this tomorrow. Need to know what I am faced with!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back