Chinese Birth Control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A few threads lately have mentioned the Chinese way of doing things, to limit each couple to having only one child, but this poses a problem.

If you do it this way, then each generation can only be a maximum of half the size of the one before, which means that in two generations time, you only have a quarter of the people, who are now paying to support the first generation in its old age. And within a couple of hundred years, you get down to the last Chinaman standing.

Now I'm sure they've thought this through, but how does it work. Surely two children per couple would be better, and rely on the law of averages to give roughly the same number of boys and girls.

Anyone ?

Sponsored Links
jtaunton said:
A few threads lately have mentioned the Chinese way of doing things, to limit each couple to having only one child, but this poses a problem.

If you do it this way, then each generation can only be a maximum of half the size of the one before, which means that in two generations time, you only have a quarter of the people, who are now paying to support the first generation in its old age. And within a couple of hundred years, you get down to the last Chinaman standing.

Now I'm sure they've thought this through, but how does it work. Surely two children per couple would be better, and rely on the law of averages to give roughly the same number of boys and girls.

Anyone ?

I can see your rationality on this but China only want to reduce their
population in the short term. They envisage that with birth selection
and the improving wealth of the country that birth ratio's will
be increased.

So its more like putting the brakes on for a couple of generations then, rather than a permanent thing.

That makes more sense - Thanks.

jtaunton said:
So its more like putting the brakes on for a couple of generations then, rather than a permanent thing.

One would hope so, mess with nature for too long and you mess with the diversity of the gene pool, this could lead to genetic defects.

Sponsored Links
kendor said:
jtaunton said:

One would hope so, mess with nature for too long and you mess with the diversity of the gene pool, this could lead to genetic defects.

Yes Kendor thats what its like round here every one born with a banjo :D

Freddie said:
kendor said:
jtaunton said:

Yes Kendor thats what its like round here every one born with a banjo :D
:LOL:

It isn't actually a strict "one child rule". :idea:

In urban areas, couples are limited to one child. It is possible to get permission for an additional child, but very hard so people seldom do it. This is why you end up with murdered baby girls and so forth, as traditionally sons are preferred.

In rural areas, couples are usually allowed TWO children. There are obvious reasons for this, agriculture prefers to have more labour available. However, the law is not well enforced in many areas, and people often have more than 2 children.

If you have "illegal" children the punishments are severe. Forced abortion, forced sterilisation, and according to reports of people who worked in the bureau responsible, there have been cases of post-natal abortion (i.e. the child is born, then "put down"). :eek:

I remember reading this book about 10 years ago about the underground Roman Catholic Church . Religion at that time and still is strickly banned in China but there was a small group of people practising their faith in secrecy.

One of the group was found to be pregnant with a second child.

At the same time a cardinal from Rome was visiting the area
on a diplomatic mission in an attempt to encourage dialogue with regard to some freedom of religion practice.

A priest from the cardinal's entourage was made aware of the situation
and went to visit the 'elder' of the group. This was very dangerous
as he was being watched very closely but he managed to evade his
'watchers' and saw the pregnant woman who was nearing childbirth.

He informed the cardinal of the situation who in turn got the suposed co-operation of a doctor in a local hospital,

The woman was taken to the hospital accompanied by the priest and the the doctor induced the baby and a young boy was born. At that point police invaded the delivery room after having been tipped off by the doctor involved.

It was apparent that the child had to die and that the wife and husband
were to be arrested for concealing the pregnancy. The priest took a
hold of the new born child and requested to be arrested.

The police did not know what to do and there was language difficulties.

Eventually after a few hours a high rankin Chinese diplomate arrived.

The Chinese did not want their reputation damaged internationaly
in relation to what in the west would be considered to be cruel birth control policies and after negotation through Rome and America the child was allowed to live.

The elder and some of his followers were able to emigrate to America
where the elder became the first Chinese Cardinal named Ignatius Kung Pin-mei .

It has always stuck in my mind this story which I believe to be true.

China is much more progressive now and a friend I know has been invited to shanghai in co-operation with the U.K. and the Chinese
Government into the study and research of new cancer treatments.

I have seen some excellent BBC Factual Progs about China in the world series , mostly after 12 at night , very enlightening on how tescos say can get school clothes so cheap ,its the 24 hour non stop sweat shops where workers are on 15p an hour ,an believe it or not that is a very good wage for rural areas ,where these sweat shops are based for nearly slave labour

please remember this fact when your missus is buying cheap school clothes for your lil tarquins

Sponsored Links
Back