Chipboard Flooring Screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im doing some remedial work around the house and one of the jobs is squeaky flooring.
We have the T+G chipboad flooring sheets fitted and most look as if they are nailed at the moment.
Im going to add some screws carefully as i go but wondered what is best to use?
Something from screwfix if possible.
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
I've put loads of flooring down using Spax 50 x 5 screws and all has been well......I was aware that there were no pipes / cables or whatever down there as the floor was being replaced.
John :)

I'd be inclined to run a detector over anywhere you plan to put a screw - I've had loads of boards up in my house due to electrical work being undertaken and I've got quite a few pipes snugged up right against the underside of boards (joists notched on top) and one instance where we found a nail tip protruding into a hole bored through a joist for the ring main a few mm shy of the cable.

Having said that the Turbogold screws sold in screwfix are pretty good - not sure if they're cheaper than spax but they are pretty good for not splitting the boards etc.

My plan was to go as close as i can alongside the existing nails, a bit risky but the boards would be a nightmare to lift.

Sponsored Links
My plan was to go as close as i can alongside the existing nails, a bit risky but the boards would be a nightmare to lift.
Yeah - thing is that's no guarantee that the nail hasn't missed a pipe or cable by a mm or so, the nail I found was right on the verge of piercing the sheathing on the feed cables for a double socket.

I've got a £9.99 multi detector from lidl and it seems to work a treat for detecting metal/electrics - it might miss something but it gives you a bit more insurance against something that could wreck your downstairs ceiling or give you a hefty shock.

One of the things I do religiously when laying any floor is mark the services on top of the boards either with paint of permanent marker. I personally cannot stand this new fashion builders seem to like which is using self gluing nail guns. It makes it impossible to get the nail out and yet they still fail regularly where the glue hasn't melted properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back