Chipboard flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having intended to replace some flooring in a daughter's bathroom have come up against a problem. Namely instead of the chipboard flooring being 600mm wide it is 580mm wide ! Never come across this before. Property is around 20 years old so no reason, in my opinion, for this odd size. Anybody ever seen this size before?

Sponsored Links
IMG_20190304_081854.jpg
IMG_20190304_082000.jpg
Yes is T@G but shaped totally differently to normal T@G chipboard flooring as can be seen in photo 1 with the odd size having a sloped T@G. Also photo 2 shows how the chipboard sits on plasterboard which itself is sitting on fibreglass batts. An odd setup but funnily enough another guy had exactly the same setup when he posed a question 3 years ago.

Last edited:
Dave, good evening again.

i have seen a very, very similar set up, but? on 2 occasions only

I have assumed that the plasterboard was in there as some sort of a "fire - break??"

As for dimensions? odd but not a million miles distant from 22.83 Inches [2 Feet??]

OK what to do?

Replace the plasterboard.

Using square edge boards replace the damaged chipboard.

in your posted image, one or two of the joints seen appear to be square edge?

Also in your image, it "appears" that there is a layer of some sort of "black / Dark glue??" on the top surface of the plasterboard, is so i would be tempted to emulate this arrangement ?

Ken

Sponsored Links
Hi
Thanks for taking the time to reply. Having wandered around the net trying to obtain answers I think the plasterboard also acts as an acoustic barrier as well as a fire barrier as you suggest. As it is impossible to obtain the older type chipboard which happens to be 20mm thick, yes neither 18mm nor 22mm, I intend to replace the whole of the floor with 22mm chipboard. Then infill the area where the plasterboard has been removed with new plasterboard. The current plasterboard is 18mm thick so a double layer of 9mm will be ideal.
Regards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back