chkdsk oh dear

B

breezer

for a short while now this pc decides to reboot all by itself, no warning, it just reboots.

or sometimes when the screen saver is on it will just freeze (screen saver i am using is my picture show)

or on the rare occasion i switch it off when i turn it on, it insists on running chkdsk.

i can choose to abort running chkdsk, but if i do that it will boot and then says run chkdsk so i cant win.

I have norton system works (only run it from cd) and that does find and fix a few missing bits, mainly shortcuts.

Ihave run clean sweep or what ever its called (it comes with windows) but all that seems to do is remove internet history

i have defragged it

I havent installed /downloaded any progs, dont play games on it

system restore will not make any changes, no matter what restore point i pick

I think it has a bunch of junk some where that has acumilated over time. you know a little bit fronm here a bit from there (but i could be wrong)

i also have (as advised on here) ad aware, but again that does not sem to do that much apart from delete a few bits

I have win xp pro, not got sp2 as i have heard it causes more grief than its worth

its nothing spectacular just a pc for websurfing, email and websites.

when i first got xp pro, and BB i used to leave this pc on for almost a month at a time, never a problem,

i have added no new progs for months, last one was ad aware

any suggestions as to why it wants to reboot then run chkdsk, all though i suppose chkdsk runs because of an error?

or is there anything i can download to give it a pc enema?

also its just happened again, none of my desktop icons will work as in, click and nothing happens, they dont change colour, or open up the prog they are a short cut to

Sponsored Links
It may be your hard drive is about to die. They seem to do it more in hot weather.

Have a look at your backup copies of data and apps on CDs or DVDs, and burn new ones if anything is not up to date. Copy your Settings to a disk as well as your docs.

this hd is not 2 yet

update.

system restore wont work at all now.

i unless anyone can suggest anything, i will format the hd

My PC had virtually the same symptoms including the chkdsk bit:

"for a short while now this pc decides to reboot all by itself, no warning, it just reboots.

or sometimes when the screen saver is on it will just freeze (screen saver i am using is my picture show)

or on the rare occasion i switch it off when i turn it on, it insists on running chkdsk.

i can choose to abort running chkdsk, but if i do that it will boot and then says run chkdsk so i cant win."

I have a service contract and the guy changed my motherboard and all was well.

Sponsored Links
breezer said:
for a short while now this pc decides to reboot all by itself, no warning, it just reboots.

i can choose to abort running chkdsk, but if i do that it will boot and then says run chkdsk so i cant win.

I have norton system works (only run it from cd) and that does find and fix a few missing bits, mainly shortcuts.

Ihave run clean sweep or what ever its called (it comes with windows) but all that seems to do is remove internet history

i have defragged it

I havent installed /downloaded any progs, dont play games on it

system restore will not make any changes, no matter what restore point i pick

I think it has a bunch of junk some where that has acumilated over time. you know a little bit fronm here a bit from there (but i could be wrong)

i also have (as advised on here) ad aware, but again that does not sem to do that much apart from delete a few bits

I have win xp pro, not got sp2 as i have heard it causes more grief than its worth

its nothing spectacular just a pc for websurfing, email and websites.

when i first got xp pro, and BB i used to leave this pc on for almost a month at a time, never a problem,

i have added no new progs for months, last one was ad aware

any suggestions as to why it wants to reboot then run chkdsk, all though i suppose chkdsk runs because of an error?

or is there anything i can download to give it a pc enema?

also its just happened again, none of my desktop icons will work as in, click and nothing happens, they dont change colour, or open up the prog they are a short cut to

Try booting from the XP CD and starting the recovery console. Perform a check disk from here (chkdsk /p) and let it complete.

If you are still having problems with restores, they may be corrupt. It might be worth discarding them by turning off system restore, rebooting and then turning it on again.

The disk could be on it's way out, as previously mentioned. Try the manufacturer site for diagnostic tools. These are very good at fixing some soft errors and identifying failing drives. At only two years, it will probably still be under warranty.

right click my computer, properties, advanced. where it says startup/recovery, click settings, take tick out of automatically restart (under system failure)
also check event log (right click my comp, manage, event log) might be as well clearing event log now then monitoring.
As for SP2, unless you have a specific reason ("my mate said it causes problems" isnt a specific reason....) then IMO you ought to (after you sort this problem out)
You mention you have run adaware, what AV do you have? Also IMO these registry cleaners etc can do more harm than good.
As suggested, check manfacturers site for disk diag tools, however if your pc was "shop bought" then you are likely to have an OEM drive and will get zilch of the manufacturer, if you post what drive it is then find you some diags for it (right click my comp, properties, hardware, dev manager, disk drives)
Sorry for the hurried response but I just saw the time and I'm up at 6

i gave up and formatted the hard drive, by putting it into another pc

not sure whay you had to plug it into another pc to reformat - but anyway.
If you still suspect the drive isnt 100%, then I would really reccomend running the manuf's diagnostics on it otherwise you might be posting back soon asking how to recover data from a faulty drive...

i put it into another pc because a pc cant format the drive its using as its o/s unless you do it in dod, i did that once and formatted all of it, when i only wanted to format one specific partition.

as you can see its formatted and working fine now.

I still think it had too much "junk" in the back ground

i used to do it about once a year with win 98

I'm still confused !

why couldnt you just format it during the reinstall of windows? anyways as long as you are happy it was just junk then problem solved

years ago i used to reinstall windows 98, i found that it only adds stuff, since it never put the "junk" there it will not remove it (it doesn't recognise / understand it) hence fomatting the hd.

but in desperation i did try and reinstall win xp pro, but as i suspected it didnt cure it

Hi There

This problem is usually caused by problems with .dll files .ini files and a few other corrupt registry entries. A lot depends on how much stuff you have been deleting as of late. You would have saved yourself a ton of time and money if you had downloaded a program like Registry Doctor and ran that. And to put your mind at rest, you can install service pack 2. The only problems that people report with it is multiple downloading and having web pages open that freeze. This is due to fact that Msoft were sneaky and changed the Tcp/Ip limit to 10 connections rather than the usual 166714 we were used to. This was to stop the abuse of people ddosing others amongst other things. If this bothers you, google for change the tcp/ip connection limits and it will show u how to do so.

Neil

You would have saved yourself a ton of time and money if you had downloaded a program like Registry Doctor and ran that
Istrongly disagree with that one, I find these "fix it" programs often do more harm than good in the long run.
The only problems that people report with it is multiple downloading and having web pages open that freeze
there were 10001 issues with SP2 most were resolved with either vendor updates or hotfixes

eggplant, now i don't mean to be rude, but how will a novice be able to repair his registry if it is in a state of corruption and has been backed up damaged ? He has no knowledge of how the registry works, let alone the keys, subkeys, clsid keys etc as i fear you are neither an expert in the registry. To say the program will not aid a speedy recovery for a novice is wrong and bad advice.

And as for the vendor updates, yes some were problems, but then again, the vendors having had xp for how long should have insured that their programs were 100% compatible, having submitted them to MS for testing.

Neil

If you read the original post, you may see that he/she tried some "fix it" programs already. I agree that manually going through the reg isnt something that a novice should be doing.
as i fear you are neither an expert in the registry
Depends what you mean by the term "expert" I work in IT, and since the days before NT I have designed/implemented netwokrs (and I dont mean 2 pc's at home with a xover cable), and unfortunately as you may or may not know, it is often the case where "oh no we dont need restrictions like that!!" lead to problems with workstations, so since this is my day to day job I do have a rough idea.....
but then again, the vendors having had xp for how long should have insured that their programs were 100% compatible, having submitted them to MS for testing.
and just how many actually do that? has registry doctor for instance?

Sponsored Links
Back