Chlorine washed chicken

DP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I suspect chlorine washing will be swept under the carpet when good old USA ship the meat for consumption here

Sponsored Links
Supposedly, the fact that the processors use chlorine wash means that they might get complacent in their hygiene practices i.e. the wash replaces good practice, rather than supplements it.

Sponsored Links
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-40522579

Reminds me of the above post. The 'posion' in reference is a herbicide which is used to deter pests but after picking it is ''washed off''.

Surely we can be doing better than this now?

Perhaps I'm old fashioned in thinking you should be able to eat fruit straight from the plant without worrying about whether you are accidentally going to give yourself a massive dose of some neurotoxin.

Not too worried about chlorine on chicken. Might mean that, for once, Mrs Senior's cooking tastes of something. :(

I can't say that the idea of Chlorine washed chicken appeals to me, but most salad bags are chlorine washed, so we've been sucked in already on this one.

But on the basis that they feed growth hormones to the cattle, I hate to think what they do to the chikens.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hate to think what they do to the chikens.
Antibiotics. Pumped full of em, so much so my brother, who developed an allergy to antibiotics, can't eat any poultry. He found out the hard way when he went into anaphylactic shock after eating chicken.

Antibiotics. Pumped full of em, so much so my brother, who developed an allergy to antibiotics

The American chicken or the uk produced one?
Probably both.
Though its my understanding that anti biotics are only given when the risk of disease manifests itself.

Last edited:
The American chicken or the uk produced one?
Probably both.
Though its my understanding that anti biotics are only given when a risk of disease develope's.
Well, it's been about 20 years since it happened and anyone's guess where we got meat from back then.
I think antibiotics are given as a matter of course? That was my understanding of it but of course, could be wrong.

Edited: http://www.saveourantibiotics.org/media/1763/antibiotic-use-in-the-uk-poultry-sector.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes from your link.....

"The UK poultry industry must build on the excellent progress made to date by working to phase out the use of fluoroquinolones entirely. Countries including the US, Australia, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway and Sweden do not use fluoroquinolones in poultry due to concerns around human resistance. These countries have much lower levels of resistance in human Campylobacter infections than EU countries which continue to use the antibiotics in poultry.

Looks like the eu is behind.

Also from the link....
"The chronic stress induced by intensive production means the risk of infection is potentially greater"

Sponsored Links
Back