Choosing a wood chisel set

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to buy a set of wood chisels. Initially these will be used just for hobby-type woodwork, however in the long run I expect to be working full-time renovating property and would therefore like to buy chisels that wood be useful in that work. Any recommendations? and should I buy metric or imperial?

Ta

Sponsored Links
it doesn't really matter if they're imperial or metric, they'll do the same job whatever.

I personally use the Stanley dynagrip pro chisels.

I favour these over the shatterproof marples that i used to use as they have a steel plate embedded into the end of the handle so they will take a lot more abuse.

http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/section//sn/STA998522

I prefer the Marples with a mallet. Only a cowboy would use a hammer. Not only will a hammer damage a chisel but a mallet is wayyyyyyy more effective.

Using the side of a hammer will suffice for short periods of chiselling and will not damage the chisel or your hand!

A mallet is not in every chippies kit nowadays unless they do chiselling all day

Sponsored Links
Keep an eye out for Lidl's weekly offers, they have a set of 4 wood chisels on offer from time to time at £4.99, they aren't as crap as the price would indicate, and make a very handy spare set or for jobs where you wouldn't wanna use your expensive ones.

I don't think i've seen a wooden mallet in a carpenters tool box for maybe twenty years :rolleyes: you gotta be a joiner or similar !

mifty12 said:
I don't think i've seen a wooden mallet in a carpenters tool box for maybe twenty years :rolleyes: you gotta be a joiner or similar !

i was always taught wood on wood and metal on plastic as plastic dammages the mallet

i have the marples red and yellow "6 pack" :D ;)

Stanley Dynagrip, hit them with anything; and they will stay sharp longer than cheapo's.

mifty12 said:

Well where I live you never see a real joiner with anything other than a mallet. They are light and, more importantly, have 'spring' in them that makes chiselling a breeze. Mind you, I do test my chisel sharpness by shaving the hairs on my arm.

i have only ever seen 1 joiner on site with a mallet ( not including on the bench) , his name is Billy ..now forever know as Billy mallet :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back