Choosing an Architect - what to look out for

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We are planning a kitchen extension and looking for an architect.

In the local area there are about 3.

Our neighbour is just coming to the end of a 2 year project, and on asking him he said avoid the architect he used. I did phone the guy but he said he was busy.

Now down to 2

Had the other round, 1 of which humed and ared etc and came out with very rough costs of about £1,500 + planning at £150 and building regs. And we did not get a good feeling about him.

Had the other guy round, knew exactly what he was on about + understood what we wanted.

He does a fixed price to get through to planning approved and through building reg, total £600 + plus planning an building regs.

He comes recommended, and does good works.

Only thing is I have been told he is sn't a Chartered Architect according to the RIBA or even a Chartered Architectural Technologist acccording to CIAT.

To make sure he has adequate cover for design liability and also P.I. insurance - just in case.

Is this a problem?

Sponsored Links
You don't need to be a registered Architect or a registered anything to do building design plans.

All you need is to be competent.

If you have seen his work, and he comes recommended then there is no reason to not use him

Sponsored Links
your better off with an architectural technician than a walt disney drawer oops I mean an architect

over the years I've had to sorted out to many issues with architects planning drawings that basically don't work when you try to turn these into a working drawing

find a good technician and you'll save a few ££££

Yes the guy will also be the builder (project manager), so in another way, if he has problems building it, it is his fault as he drew it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back