Choosing the right fence panels

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a fence which separates our garden from a neighbour, according to the deeds and old correspondence it belongs to us.

It is in a poor state, there are about 20 overlap waney style panels 6 x 4 ft, more than half are rotten, two or three are missing completely.

The posts and gravel boards are concrete. I would probably like to replace all fence panels, what would be a good choice?

Buying overlap would cost £20 each, so about £400 and I believe they need to be painted every 2 years for the 10 year guarantee.

With this in mind would pressure treated with a 15 year guarantee be a good choice? We like Forest Kyoto but they are very expensive at £67 each - would cost £1,340.

I can see Feather Edge panels for about half the cost. We want to grow various tall plants against the fence so have decided looks don't matter too much but not having to paint would be good.

We did want trellis on top but the posts are only so high.. and trellis costs the same as an overlap panel.

Thoughts on best choice of fence panels please?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
the posts are only so high

how high is that?

It's good to hear you have concrete posts and gravel boards. Are they in fair condition? Are they vertical, and aligned?

It's possible, but not always easy, to slide new panels down the slots, if the posts are still well-spaced.

I suppose you want a total height, including gravel boards, of about six feet, right?

Do you or your neighbours have fence-damaging dogs or children? Are you concerned about intruders climbing over?

Some photos would be interesting.

Hi JohnD,

I think the posts and gravel boards are OK condition, difficult to get too near due to thorny plants etc. some of the gravel boards have soil piled up against and need it digging out a bit.

Can get help to slide new panels in.. six foot would be ideal but I think the gravel board is maybe a foot and panels four foot so currently five foot high.

The posts only go to the top of the panels so they are maybe 5 foot high total?

We have a dog and child - fence damaging I hope not remains to be seen as never had a fence until now! Garden is open to front of house - ideally needs fencing off there as well but just need to get existing fence sorted first..

Will try and post pics tomorrow, thanks.

The posts only go to the top of the panels so they are maybe 5 foot high total?

then that will be the limit of your new fence. Taller panels will catch the wind, and either push over the posts, or break the panels.

Some people add a foot of trellis, but if climbing plants mass on it, it will be as bad as fence.

Sponsored Links
Hi JohnD,

Had a look and most posts seem pretty straight, at least one was slightly leaning and another I wiggled had slight sideways movement - about 1cm if that.. difficult to get to the others for plants etc.

I've managed to take some pictures before it goes dark.. do you think a pressure treated feather edge fence would be a good choice?

Thanks in advance.

Nice garden space

I would go for the feather edge boards that have been treated.

As has already been said, stick to the same height of fence.

If any of the concrete posts are wobbly or damaged take the opportunity to replace them. Remember the posts need to go 2ft into the ground.

It’s really worth shopping around for fence panels and posts.

My local timber merchants (who is usually pretty keenly priced) wanted £28 per 5ft feather edge panel and £19 per 8ft concrete post. I shopped around and found a place in Preston (30 miles from me where the costa were £17 and £10 respectively, and £30 to deliver!).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back