Chpboard floor is doing my box in!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Creaking chipboard floor. One area outside a bedroom it creaking like crazy. Think it's the tongue and groove joint causing it as I put chipboard screws alongside each nail and regular intervals thereafter. I am thinking of breaking the t&g joint then putting some pva wood glue in there to bond it back together. Alternatively, I may cut out a small piece, put down some cross timbers the glue and screw it back down.

Any other options?

Sponsored Links
talcum powder rubbed in can help cure the problem in the short term as it lubricates the edges and stops the jumping /creaking

talcum powder rubbed in can help cure the problem in the short term as it lubricates the edges and stops the jumping /creaking

Need a permanent cure as having carpets fitted next Friday.

chipboard flooring is rubbish. You may also have some cracks in it especially at the bottom of stairs where people tread heavily on it, or in a place where people often walk on it, or where it gets damp, or where it has been badly fitted.

A better approach would be to pull it up and screw down ply.

If you have carpets fitted on a bad floor you will regret it for years and years and years.

Pulling up and replacing a big piece of floor might even be easier than patching it.

Here's one I did earlier:

View media item 4499

Sponsored Links
garry - glue locally won't work. Your choice is to repair what you have or whip it up and replace. I think, in the first instance, you should try to repair by cutting out the offending section, batten below (fix lengths to joists and along and under the remaining sections of c/board, glue and screw these supports in position), then drop the cut-out bit of c/board back into the hole, glue and screw. We've done this type of repair loads of times and it does work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back