CHS pipework - to replace or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi !

Asking this on behalf of my sister. She's decided to have a new boiler to replace her totally knackered 30 year old heap.

New boiler will be a WB combi, and she's had a number of quotes for the work.

Every fitter has quoted for a new boiler, new rads etc, but only half of them reckon her copper pipework needs replacing.

The existing pipework is just regular 15mm copper, and has been in for 30 years.

So - can anyone advise whether it's worth replacing the pipework or not if the remainder of the CHS is being replaced ?

For example, X-Gas seem convinced that the old pipework will be fine, whereas other independent guys think it should be replaced.

Be grateful of some expert opinions please.

Thanks,

Marcus

Sponsored Links
Rebuilt my house this year and intended to reuse the c/h pipes and rads.
I believe they had been installed in 1977 (so 31 years old).

The amount of black gunk in the pipes and rads was incredible. After a day trying to clean them, there was still tons left to damage the new boiler so I ended up playing safe and buying new.

So at the very least I'd suggests she gets them cleaned.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back