Circuit breaker trips frequently even with out load

Sponsored Links
I denitely think its the wiring. Cable is waterproof son unless damaged, is unaffected by drips (unless the water gets into an outlet or connection box).

All your appliances, and the boiler, are protected by a 13amp fuse in the plug or the connectyion unit, so the individual fuse would blow before the 16amp breaker.

If you've had mice eating the cable, that could do it, or if you'#ve put a drill or a nail through a cable, e.g. buried in the plaster.

A qualified electrician wil trace the fault by measuring the resistance in the circuit, and at points along it (he can even calculate the distance from the test meter to the fault by the resistance). The electricity Supplier wil provide someone if you can't find a reliable and recommended one.

MCBs have two ways of tripping - fast, with a heavy overload, and slow, with a slight overload. They don't store up a charge.

How old is your house, and your wiring?

JohnD_ said:
All your appliances, and the boiler, are protected by a 13amp fuse in the plug or the connectyion unit, so the individual fuse would blow before the 16amp breaker.
bullshit even a 32A breaker goes before a plug fuse quite frequently let alone a 16A one.

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
even a 32A breaker goes before a plug fuse quite frequently let alone a 16A one.

Steady on old chap. You're right that breakers will trip really fast under heavy load, before a fuse has time to get hot, but I read that it can take a long time to trip, so I was thinking of a less dramatic load.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back