Circular saws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to completely remove the tongue and groove sheet chipboard flooring fro m a room. Can a cicular saw be used to cut very close to the wall ( like 1 cm close), as that is where th joist is situated. If not how does one do this sort of job??

Sponsored Links
doubtfull since the saw has gudes etc, so it physically may not be able to get that close

There are circular saws (plunge-cut saws) that can, we use them amongst other works to 'free' expanded floors so need to reach very close to the wall. Festool has them in their wooden flooring tools range (and also I think DeWalt now), but they are pretty expensive.

are you removing the entire floor, which is chipboard?

Sponsored Links
If you are removing the flooring right up to the walls, first check what's holding those walls up. It's possible that the walls have been directly built on the floor that you are about to remove.

Although you will be leaving some flooring under the wall, it's possible (especially in the case of a wall that runs parallel with your joists) that you could end up with a wall, sitting on a piece fo flooring that is only supported on one side of the wall! This will make that small piece of flooring prone to bending, causing the whole wall to become unstable.

Thermo said:
are you removing the entire floor, which is chipboard?

I need to remove various sections of the floor to gain access for plumbing and electrical modifications, so it would involve less cutting to do the whole floor. I don't intend to remove any flooring under the walls (although only one is an internal), infact three of the sides can easily be done using a circulr eaw, it's just the fourth wall that i need to cut close to (above a joist). It's probably just as easy to use a hammer and chisel ??

a reciprocating saw with a decent wood blade on is the kiddie to use. it will rip along the toungues of the boards and quite easily go across them, youll just need to drill entry holes first. if its a one off either hire it or pick up a cheapie from somewhere like wickes etc. you just need to be aware of the pipes under the floor and the joists as you go perpendicular to them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back