Cistern won't stop filling...

I

imamartian

Hi, can anyone help me please?

A couple of years ago i bought a Wickes toilet with a slimline cistern. Fitted it and all was well. About a year ago, it started to overflow and would sometimes take a few seconds to stop filling, and sometimes wouldn't stop at all.
Well i've fiddled with it many time - the space is very tight in the cistern and sometimes it caught on the emptying device. I even shaved a bit of plastic off the nut to stop it catching. It even sometimes worked fine.

But today i went and bought a Torbeck adjustable height bottom entry filling valve. Very easy to fit, turned the water back on and it filled up and just would not stop filling !!!

What am i doing wrong? am i just unlucky, or am i missing something?
I have to admit i don't understand how they stop the water, as the float lever doesn't press anything as with the old stop cocks.

Any help would be very gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
Try the fluidmaster. Very quiet, works on high and low pressure and normally fits into tight spaces.

Sponsored Links
have you got the blue nut at the top tight.
have you got the float wound down enough before it go's over the overflow ?

32033.jpg

check he floats low enough and the blue nuts fully tight.

if the nuts loose you can check the white part is sitting in its groove fully and tighten the nut.

you should beable to lift the float with your finger and the flow will stop dead.

yep, nut is tight. And i lowered the whole assembly so the water actually covers the whole unit before it starts to overflow.

It says in the link that fanboy sent that it could take 12 seconds to fully switch off? that's hardly fit for purpose!

yep, nut is tight. And i lowered the whole assembly so the water actually covers the whole unit before it starts to overflow.

It says in the link that fanboy sent that it could take 12 seconds to fully switch off? that's hardly fit for purpose!

not read the link but that sounds abit long, i would say useally about 3 secs top, never had one thats been like that and useally if i've had one that won't shut its because i have the restrictor in it fills to slow.
remove the restrictor and the cistern fills in under a min and shuts of quick.

removed the restrictor, no joy. Should i try a different valve?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back