city & guilds 6217

I qualified with my plumbing 6129 a couple of years ago, now doing it in my spare time. Last summer I decided to do a 1 weeks intensive plastering course. Yes you can learn in only one week, I have had a fair bit of work since then, practice makes perfect, more work on the way, I quite enjoy it!
learn plastering in one week? your having a laugh i spent 4 years training complimented by working with plastering firms as an improver and i still don't know it all, and i have to enphasise that the city&guilds 6129 is not a full qualification and not even recognized by the cscs and just but a stepping stone to an nvq, years ago the city&guilds was worth having now its hardly worth the paper its printed on

Sponsored Links
Yes you can learn in only one week
Got to say that’s rather a controversial & unqualified comment to make on a plastering forum mike :rolleyes: . Courses can be a very good stepping stone as at least a couple of the regulars on here will testify but all you will learn in a week is theory about how various materials behave (hopefully) & get some practice in. You may be able to lay some Multi onto plasterboard reasonably flat after a week but that won’t turn you into a plasterer; neither will a paper qualification. You either have an affinity for it or you don’t; some are pretty good after just a few months but some have been at it for years & will always be next to useless. Either way, you will still be learning after 30 years, it never stops. I’m self taught of some 5 years now & relied on the teachings of others & am not shy to say I’m pretty damn good in renovation work which is what I pefer to do but I would never be so bold as to say I have learned it all or that it’s an easy skill to master, even if you’re a natural. ;)

Yes you can learn in only one week
some are pretty good after just a few months but some have been at it for years & will always be next to useless.
aint that the truth i see a spread out on site said hes been spreading for 14 years looked like hes only been spreading for 14 days his work was so bad he had to fine fill all his own work the next day and he used to get through loads of the stuff, yet ive seen young boys pick up the trowel and after just a few weeks are skimming large arears, to some people it comes easy others may have to work at it a bit more or harder, some people never master it

Sponsored Links
Sorry Guys, didn't mean to upset anyone, just saying that the one week course gave me a basic insight to plastering. Dont know it all by any means, still practicing! but the work I have done the customer is pleased with. This is why I have asked so many questions on here! Accept my appologies. If somebody my age could get a job with an experienced plasterer I would jump at the chance!

. If somebody my age could get a job with an experienced plasterer I would jump at the chance!
if somebody your age? how old are you mike if you dont mind me asking? also i dont think you upset anyone you just gave a few spreads a belly laugh when you said you learned in a week ;)

What happens when someone asks you to render the rear or front of their house Mike? Anyone who puts themselves "out there" as a "plasterer" should know all the aspects of plastering..

There are "painters" and there are "painters and decorators", but there are "plasterers" but not "plasterers and renderers"!!!

Like the lads say, "Learning all the time. "
;)

My labourer at the moment whom I am teaching all aspects of plastering and my general knowledge of the building trade that I have learned over 30 years is a very good bricklayer/blockie. The reason being is that his dad who is the same age as myself, who I have worked with on a few jobs in the past is probably one of the best "brickies" I know. When we take on extensions and work that entails brick or blockwork my labourer becomes the guy with the knowledge and I become the one who gets taught. The point is, like as been said is we are always learning ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back