Cladding a shower area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm about to start cladding a new shower room that has been added to the side of my kitchen taking some area from my garage. The walls are bare breeze block which I intend to battern and then clad. When it comes to the shower base obviously I want to get a good seal where the caldding meets up to the shower base. I'm just not confident that siliconing along where they meet is enough. I've no experience of doing anything like this and would really welcome any help or advice on what the best way to go about this is.

Many thanks.

I've added the picture below to show the surfaces I'm working with.

Sponsored Links
Get a shower tray with upstands which makes a better/easier seal with whatever you are using - tiles, laminate etc. Trays come in different sizes and number of upstands.
upstand_tech_tray.jpg

Many thanks for your reply. I see what your saying, but unfortunately the shower tray I have is a cast style one and has no such upstands.

what material are you using to clad the walls with?have you got some advice about what to use, say by posting on the tileing section.i would suggest that standard plasterboard is not waterproof or not strong as other materials , it carries on average 20kg/metre squared.
if you have already covered this ignore the above question and good luck with your project

Sponsored Links
what material are you using to clad the walls with?have you got some advice about what to use, say by posting on the tileing section.i would suggest that standard plasterboard is not waterproof or not strong as other materials , it carries on average 20kg/metre squared.
if you have already covered this ignore the above question and good luck with your project

Hi, I'm cladding with the proper water tight jointing bathroom cladding. I intend to batten the walls and apply the cladding to that.

It looks as though your shower tray will be fitted onto a concrete floor which will prevent the tray settling over time, the main cause of silicone failure between the shower tray and tiles. Clad the wall and place the shower tray against the cladding, you may want to seal the tray to the cladding with silicone. Tile the walls down to the top of the shower tray and seal again. Self adhesive upstand kits can be purchased if you really want to use them with your tray. Most leaks between the shower tray and tiles occur behind the wall channels of the shower door because people fit shower door before the tray has been fully sealed to the tiles. Water flowing through the frame of the shower door then leaks from the base of the wall channels and out into the wall because the tray to tile silicone seal only extends up to the shower door frame. If the shower tray is fitted onto a suspended floor put weight into the shower tray before the tile to tray silicone is applied. Ensure that the tray and tiles are spotlessly clean and allow the sealant to cure for a couple of days if possible, at least 24 hours. Good luck

Hi thanks for your reply. I'm not actually tiling, Just cladding. With this in mind I was going to position the shower base then clad down to it. Would this be the correct way to do things?

Thanks once again.

Yes, the water proof wall covering should always extend down onto the tray unless the manufacturers instructions state otherwise. When ever I have seen shower trays pushed up to the tiles leaks have generally occurred. If you are nervous about the silicone you could first put a line between the base of the board and tray as you fit them. Then silicone around the tray as normal, effectively giving you two seals - belt and braces.

Yes, the water proof wall covering should always extend down onto the tray unless the manufacturers instructions state otherwise. When ever I have seen shower trays pushed up to the tiles leaks have generally occurred. If you are nervous about the silicone you could first put a line between the base of the board and tray as you fit them. Then silicone around the tray as normal, effectively giving you two seals - belt and braces.

Good advice. Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Cheers.

I can help - sort of :oops: I did exactly the same job - and with the panelling I bought a special strip which sticks to the back of the tray and goes under the panelling . I can`t remember it`s name :oops: BUT if you give DRAKES plumbing supplies in Uckfield Sussex - a call they supplied it ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back