Cladding a wall to cover damp area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to clad a section of unsightly wall and hide water damage. Needs to be clad on batons on wall but put into door reveal without batons. Clad up to where red line is from ceiling to floor and butt up to blinds on the left Does this seem feasible?
20230227_161953.jpg
20230227_161305.jpg
20230227_161303.jpg
20230227_161257.jpg
20230227_161959.jpg

Sponsored Links
look up upvc T&G cladding will give you the resistance to stain coming through i assume you want and treatment free surface matching i assume a white upvc ??
if not get back for wood advice
random link

Last edited:
Should be achievable, just make sure battens on wall overlap the edge of the reveal by the thickness of the plasterboard to hide the cut edge.

Blup

Should be achievable, just make sure battens on wall overlap the edge of the reveal by the thickness of the plasterboard to hide the cut edge.

Blup
i had assumed txg cladding ----now you have me thinking i may be wrong
the reveal at the door looks tight at perhaps8-12mm :unsure:

Sponsored Links
The OP says clad on batons, but he should be able to scribe to the wall if his skills are up to it.

BTW Keitai you only need the horses head if the client doesnt pay.

Blup

The OP says clad on batons, but he should be able to scribe to the wall if his skills are up to it.

BTW Keitai you only need the horses head if the client doesnt pay.

Blup
Hold cladding level then scribe the cut with piece of baton on slope of ceiling

if the damp is there and you dont cure the problem it will build up until it shows its self up elsewhere on the new surface 'drip down to the floor and appear there or mold or fungal growth as it cant dry out

The OP's proposition, & some of the replies border on nonsense.
You dont paint over ongoing damp penetration - personally, I wouldn't paint over any kind of damp signs.
Pulling out that patch of the wall with battens is absurd - it will be weirdly obvious ( to any surveyor or house buyer) & create a possible condition for future dry rot.

You find the cause & fix it - not cause more problems.

OP, why not post pics of the outside shed roof abutment or verge, & the gutter?
Also, why not shift the unit and the blind, and take more pics esp of the brickwork below the window board?

Respectfully to the OP, he's been appointed to hide the damp patch, not find the cause, for sure it's wrong and one would hope he's written to his customer advising against such a dastardly plan, if they're still keen to push forward then so be it. Perhaps the customer is a dodgy landlord.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back