Cladding a wall to cover damp area

Sponsored Links
i had assumed txg cladding ----now you have me thinking i may be wrong
the reveal at the door looks tight at perhaps8-12mm :unsure:
Upvc won't be good cut so short in the reveals surely, some kind of wood cladding? What would you recommend? White of course.

A surveyor has looked at it and can't find the cause. There's a downpipe directly above it though

Sponsored Links
you can get something like 2mm white acrylic that may work in the reveal
So use 2mm in reveal and the white upvc T&G cladding on walls? Don't bother with wood even though it's interior?

A surveyor has looked at it and can't find the cause. There's a downpipe directly above it though
Guessing from the windows and doors, this could have been an external wall, there might also be some water penetration into the cavity; this may explain the spread of dampness over the door lintel?
As @Nige F says, a simple downpipe extension, straight into the gutter may help?

Lol. Can't believe surveyor missed downpipe
You could make some of these suggestions to the clients, you may be able to solve the problem, when a surveyor couldn't!

Kettle and tell - what a double act :LOL:
All we need now is DIYNutJob for the perfect triumvirate! ;)

So use 2mm in reveal and the white upvc T&G cladding on walls? Don't bother with wood even though it's interior?
as its a "butter up" compromise and should only ever be temporary, you need to work out the expected time span before doing it properly and choose the minimum spend to get the best maintenance free Finnish and go from there
now iff you expect to get the damp solved in 6 months time then stain blocker and paint till it dries out if longer then another option
but you must tell them its a temporary bodge and set the grounds rules as in you will be responsible for ongoing problems or you wont come back again at your expense until a time agreed to sort it propperly
to me its a 6 months minimum before trying to sort so anything now is just the temporary hoardings saying "new lidls store coming soon" before the full refurbish to a decent standard later in the year

Last edited:
FWIW: just a heads up bit of advice for the average DIY viewer - all damp stained solid plaster or interior render should be hacked off back to masonry, and renewed with lime render - dont use any gypsum.
Plasterboard should be cut out & replaced.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back