Cladding an outdoor pod

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently I pleased SWMBO by finally buying her a hot tub. I went for one complete in a garden fibreglass "pod". On the web, it looked fantastic, but when in situ in our garden, it's a stark, ugly, grey, plastic, slab. Don't get me wrong, it's functionally brilliant, but it really is ugly.

So I've decided to clad it in timbre. I don't want to pierce the fibreglass in any way so I don't compromise it's water resilience, so I think I'll make five or six curved battening ribs around the circumference of the pod, then apply the cladding to them (And maybe add some insulation between the cladding and fibreglass).

My reason for posting is I have no idea how to make the curved ribs or whether I'm restricted to wood for them, can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks

qImage4.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

Sponsored Links
Could you get it wrapped in vinyl or similar? Then either pick a colour, print, or wood effect?

Could you get it wrapped in vinyl or similar? Then either pick a colour, print, or wood effect?
vinyl --exactly my thoughts as any wood cladding will not only quickly give problems if barrel shaped so would need to be a separate rectangular structure not connected with a proper roof not loading the structure

assuming this is a new money pit i would spend no money over winter until the horrendous electric bills or the lack off use decides it fate as a "silly idea "

now if next summer you still like the idea and dont mind the cost then make a free standing structure at perhaps £200-£400 dependant on quality ??

Thanks guys, not really keen on the vinyl idea - but might warm to it as time goes on, I'll google some examples to see how they might look.
This is the effect I was hoping to achieve with the cladding - although I doubt my efforts would be anywhere near as good

Attachments

• Ifmage5.jpg
    Ifmage5.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 55
Sponsored Links
Perhaps use some water pipe secured in the ground on one side and bent over the curve and lodged in an opposite hole, so its touching the fiberglass but not penetrating in anyway, then fix the cladding to the pipes as if they were battens?

RaisedBed7.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back