Cladding clips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I was told that this post didn't belong in the building section, so here goes...

I shall be using a lot of 8mm t&g and am wondering if cladding clips are worth using instead of nails?

Also, are they used for horizontal or vertical cladding?

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
In a summerhouse. I'd like to clad it horizontally, but looking at the location of the pin hole on the clip, it looks like I'd have to clad from top down, therefore I'll be unable to fit the bottom length of cladding in place due to the tongue.

in a summerhouse, you'll need to use something that can't rust. Clips tend to be steel. Allow a swelling/shrinkage gap. I used small countersunk brass screws to put my shiplap cladding onto battens. This is outdoors, where vertical cladding would rot from the bottom. Only one screw in the centre of each board at each batten; if they are restrained more they will split when they shrink in dry weather.

View media item 4848

Sponsored Links
yes, but it will still get substantial swings in humidity and temperature, so allow for the timber shrinking and swelling.

In a summerhouse. I'd like to clad it horizontally, but looking at the location of the pin hole on the clip, it looks like I'd have to clad from top down, therefore I'll be unable to fit the bottom length of cladding in place due to the tongue.

If you want to start at the bottom, you can use the clips just at the bottom then use secret nails on top. You can start at the top using the clips then at the bottom just nails to the batten which is normally covered by skirting boards

images

Thanks for the diagrams! If I start at the top as I mentioned, the bottom length will have to have its tongue sawn off otherwise it won't fit in.

if you start at the top, you will need someone to help by lifting each board and holding it up to the one above

if you start at the bottom, gravity will hold them in place for you

One other thing to consider is why not apply the paint or varnish finish, at least one coat prior to fixing the boards? reason is that when the boards shrink you will have reduced the tendency for a thin line of undecorated timber from showing as a different coloured line on the boards. Also a layer of paint applied to the tongue and into the groove will prolong the life expectency of the entire panel by offering some weather proofing in these areas.

Conventionally the boards tend to be laid from ground up so there can be a tendancy for moisture to enter into the groove.

quite agree, I do that

even though they will be indoors.

always fit with the tongue facing up and the groove facing down, prevents water or dirt getting in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back