Shed cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to clad a shed frame. I was going to use 12.5mm T&G boards, but then got worried about expansion and contraction. Will they be ok or should I use Shiplap instead?

Sponsored Links
It's the species of timber that shrinks and expands, not the profile.

Any cheap pine softwood cladding will have greater movement than more stable cedar or larch or hardwoods.

Thinner boards also have higher risk of cupping and spliting - especially of the tongues and rebates when secret nailed.

Sponsored Links
Ultimately I would say it will come down to the quality of the timber in the first place. Given we're talking 12.5mm thickness, my initial sense is there could well be a decent amount of expansion and contraction to factor in. You can help yourself out by treating the wood appropriately (I usually use a couple of coats of wood preservative following by 2-3 coats of decking oil), but you'll still expect some.
For most sheds, I would go with shiplap - it's typically not much more than T&G and is arguably better suited. That being said, I'd rather take decent T&G vs low quality shiplap any day!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back