Cladding inside wall with Ytong 50mm - Lintels?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just looking at this as an option, existing walls are rather pants, mortar/rubble built, and very cold (Despite being insulated from the outside)

I want a nice new (breathable!) inside finish, and attempting to straighten out the existing walls without half the render falling off by mistake will be a nightmare.

Rather than dot'n'dab which I hate, I am looking at taking down the existing render and building up a new internal wall in front of the old walls, but the question is this:

In order to span above the windows/doors etc I will require lintels, the lintels only come in 125,150, 250, 300 and 375mm wide.

I won't be able to cut into the existing wall as the windows already have lintels above them.

So how do you get around this, make a temporary shuttering with rebar inside it and cast it in situ out of concrete?

Wouldn't this create a huge cold bridge (Especially since its above windows and doors)?

Alternatively I could take a non-reinforced 150mm beam and cut it in three lengthwise but I doubt this would like the extra 1-2 courses above it resting on there.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Sponsored Links
Why do you need lintels? If your existing lintels are functional then whatever you add is just cosmetic.

Because the block work would be built up around the windows/doorframes, and would require to continue above the window/doorframe

But there is nothing to rest the block work on above the window/doorframe, and the last time I checked thin air doesn't support very well.

I need a lintel to span from one side of the block work to the other side above the window/doorframe, so I can continue the block work course above it.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back