Cladding of porch- carpenter job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My front door surround georgian style - is pretty much rotten. Nearby houses have coverd theirs with pvc or alluminum cladding rather than stripping repairing and painting.
Who does this type of jobs? Cannot find carpenters that can do in hertfordshire ..
Thanks

Attachments

• 8BC66F83-47EC-403D-8E48-524E5087E7E6.jpeg
    8BC66F83-47EC-403D-8E48-524E5087E7E6.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 80
Sponsored Links
I actually came across a joiner in Cheshire a few months back, when I was buying some kit, who makes porches as his main living - so there must be someone out there in your part of the world. A quick Google for "Porch Builders Hertfordshire" turned up Reflex Ellite and Beswick Building Services as my first hits. No idea if they are good, bad or indifferent - but it just shows that there are firms out there. In fact any small joinery shop should be able to produce a porch - as should any small shop fitting firm (as similar stuff is sometimes required in fit-outs)

Last edited by a moderator:
as an aside
i dont know iff it applies here
i repaired a window a few years ago as a favour but prefered to pay for the repair to a local workshop or chippie as far more time efficient but on checking 90% off local searches brought up local businesses that where no more than houses prepared to let others use there address and forward mail so go on google earth and check the location off the local plumber/carpenter /electrician /any trade to check for an actual business and not what looks like a house

Last edited:
I didn't know that happened in the Home Counties, @big-all. Up here in the p***-wet through Pennines (at least today) I'm maybe lucky enough to know 5 or 6 local chippies within 5 or 6 miles, plus the same sort of number of small joinery shops who will make stuff, but often don't want to install. This is just a matter of economics, but almost everyone who runs a shop ahas a few carpenters they can sub-out the installation to - I certainly did in the past

Sponsored Links
no way off knowing really j&k in the modern world as any presence can be any where rather than actual land based businesses i was quite shocked as like you i come from the honest genuine "its an actual 100%as it seems situation rather than a "we are manipulating this a bit " to seem to be something different to what you think or expect
in other words misdirection and manipulation seem acceptable to some where as to us full honesty is 100% important and the only path to take ??

That's why I generally prefer to deal with businesses which have a proveable bricks and mortar address on the web site together with a land line number. Yes, I know you can spoof a landline, too, but I'd also want to see some evidence of previous work as well.

Actually, reading that back I realised that I probably wouldn't give a great account of myself, either - although in my case it's down to the sector I work which is still word of mouth to a great extent, so the OP has a point

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back