Replace Complete Garage Timber Frame but reuse door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

First time post to the forum but have been reading it for a while, so hi to all.

I've been planning to replace the bottoms of the timber frame in my garage for a while, and started the job this morning only to find that while stripping paint on the rest of it, the wooden top (cross member?) piece was rotten to the core as well, due to a leaking roof that is being replaced next week.
Thankfully, it's not load bearing bit of wood, but bloody annoying.

As per normal, i'd like to cut out the rotten piece and replace with a new piece, but it looks like quite a chunk of work to fix it neatly, and am pondering replacing the whole frame which is circa 25 years old with a complete new frame if i can find one.

However, this will mean removing the current retractable steel garage door and then re-installing it, and i'm not sure how much work is involved.

Any ideas/recommendations? I can't find any hardwood 70x70mm timber in my local diy stores at present, so will have to look further a field. The other option is to replace the frame and door, but would rather not spend £400 if i can help it - the rest of the house needs it more.

Of course, i could just pvc clad it and ignore it until it completely!

Will try and post piccys in the morning.

Ta in advance!

Sponsored Links
You will need to get the same size frame sections, or else pack out thinner ones to get the same size opening for the door.

There is no need for hardwood unless you want it match something. Softwood treated, or properly painted and sealed up the reveals will do.

Getting the door off/on is not that difficult, but you will require someone to help

If your door is a Henderson or similar, go onto their website and you will find installation and removal instructions available to view/download.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Turned out for £329.99 i could get a new door with steel frame from B&Q. As much as i hated the idea of sending more money B&Q way, the ease of a "rip old out, bang new in" worked for me!

Looks better too, now to pvc clad the small gap at the top!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back