Claming Back bank charges - no response

yes I agree it is your own fault, sometimes, but when they bounce a DD and you put the money in the bank that day to cover it, but then they turn round and say "it has to be in the bank 2 days prior to that" why it doesn't leave the account until that day.....................then charge you 30.00 for the bounced DD, which then makes you overdrawn, so then they charge you 35.00 for going overdrawn, which if they hadn't taken there money out you wouldn't of been overdrawn, doesn't seem fair to me.

and the 2.50 is the cost of someone pushing a button to return the transaction, the other 27.50 or more goes in their pockets.

so remember if your DD come out on the 29th of the month, the money has to be there on the 27th, well so Barclays tell me anyway............... :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
techwondo said:
Crafty said:
The banks only charge when you do something they dont like. Keeping your finances in check, money where its needed, when its needed - they wont charge you full stop.

Really? The HALIFAX once charged me £30 for being overdrawn by 11p for just a few hours. Hardly a fair charge.
But where do you draw the line? Its still an unauthorised overdraft. In effect you are borrowing 11 pence, any sort of loan from a bank is chargeable, be it a penny or a million pounds.

I always make sure I have a safety buffer of money in my account, at least a few hundred to cover my bills and DDs. Anything over this goes into the savings account, if i find i need some money halfway through the month I take it out of the saver, as its instant access.

Crafty said:
His finances must be REALLY MESSED UP ffs. His own stupid fault surely. The banks only charge when you do something they dont like. Keeping your finances in check, money where its needed, when its needed - they wont charge you full stop. :rolleyes:
Life is so simple when you're young!

Have you been made redundant yet, Crafty? What would you do if you had a family of dependents, and you suddenly had no job?

Quote : Anything over this goes into the savings account, if i find i need some money halfway through the month I take it out of the saver, as its instant access.

Savings !!!!!!!! anything left halfway through the month !!!!!!!!!!!!! what are those never had those in all my life, savings or money left half way through the month.........

Try being on your own, having 2 jobs, just to keep your head above water, its not easy, especially when you get paid peanuts................we are not all on mega bucks and probably never will be, and if I don't work then the bills dont get paid, no husband to fall back on..................... :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
chezzer0361 said:
Quote : Anything over this goes into the savings account, if i find i need some money halfway through the month I take it out of the saver, as its instant access.

Savings !!!!!!!! anything left halfway through the month !!!!!!!!!!!!! what are those never had those in all my life, savings or money left half way through the month.........

Try being on your own, having 2 jobs, just to keep your head above water, its not easy, working 6 days a week and 2 nights on top, especially when you get paid peanuts................we are not all on mega bucks and probably never will be, and if I don't work then the bills dont get paid, no husband to fall back on..................... :rolleyes:

and then when you go overdrawn by a few pence you get charge 30.00, why can they not just charge you the 2.50, then I wouldnt have to work 5 extra hours to get the 30.00 to put back into the account

chezzer0361 said:
yes I agree it is your own fault, sometimes, but when they bounce a DD and you put the money in the bank that day to cover it, but then they turn round and say "it has to be in the bank 2 days prior to that" why it doesn't leave the account until that day.....................then charge you 30.00 for the bounced DD, which then makes you overdrawn, so then they charge you 35.00 for going overdrawn, which if they hadn't taken there money out you wouldn't of been overdrawn, doesn't seem fair to me.

and the 2.50 is the cost of someone pushing a button to return the transaction, the other 27.50 or more goes in their pockets.

so remember if your DD come out on the 29th of the month, the money has to be there on the 27th, well so Barclays tell me anyway............... :rolleyes:

Well I can't really speak for Barclays but, I think all banks now have subscribed to the process of crediting accounts before debiting, some banks even have a grace period of up to 3 days. So while I think there are genuine issues within banking charges there banks are not totally the pariahs they are made out to be. BTW, no-one pushes any buttons to generate an OD letter, it's all automatic. I also agree with Softus, in that people's financial problems can be complex simply saying that you are stupid for going overdrawn is neither helpful or constructive, that said there are people (and a lot of them) who have a blatant disregard for their finances, I would genuinely like to see banks, and other financial institutions build CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) into their entire operating model. Sadly the sales driven culture of all institutons make this difficult.

chezzer0361 said:

Try being on your own, having 2 jobs, just to keep your head above water, its not easy, especially when you get paid peanuts................we are not all on mega bucks and probably never will be, and if I don't work then the bills dont get paid, no husband to fall back on..................... :rolleyes:
I'm not on mega money. £7.83 per hour, and you're right, i have no dependants, nor do i have anyone to spend my money on but myself. However, I am trying to furnish myself with ample savings for future needs / emergencies, when I do have dependants and a spouse, because the last thing i want to happen is to get into debt. I do have a credit card with my bank, which i use where I dont entirely trust the place i am buying from, and purchases from overseas websites. I pay it off as soon as the bill comes.

gcol said:
Crafty said:
£7.83 per hour.
Not bad for a 16 year old. ;)

16 year old with a Credit card, if I was you I'd ramp it to the max, then tell you're not paying them a penny back, let 'em pick the bones out of that :cool:

Crafty said:
You're as funny as cot death.
Come on Crafty, it's just some gentle ribbing.

I think you're taking a very responsible attitude towards money and saving, and hopefully it will stand you in good stead. But remember that there are many things in your life that might crop up when you least expect it and kick you in the teeth before putting your test*cles in a vice.

Crafty said:
techwondo said:
Crafty said:
The banks only charge when you do something they dont like. Keeping your finances in check, money where its needed, when its needed - they wont charge you full stop.

Really? The HALIFAX once charged me £30 for being overdrawn by 11p for just a few hours. Hardly a fair charge.
But where do you draw the line? Its still an unauthorised overdraft. In effect you are borrowing 11 pence, any sort of loan from a bank is chargeable, be it a penny or a million pounds.

I always make sure I have a safety buffer of money in my account, at least a few hundred to cover my bills and DDs. Anything over this goes into the savings account, if i find i need some money halfway through the month I take it out of the saver, as its instant access.

Ill tell you where i would draw the line, well away from 11p.

Yes, it was an unofficial overdraught, but what can you buy for 11p these days?

Oh, and its nice that you can have a "buffer" of "a fw hundred pounds", not everyone is the same - Martial Arts instructor isnt exactly a well paid job and nor is it stable enough to get any sort of buffer.

The simple fact is, a charge of £30 for being overdrawn by 11p is unfair.

Sponsored Links
Back