Claming Back bank charges - no response

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone help, I have written to MBNA asking for my statements for the last 6 years so I can claim my charges back they sent me a letter saying we will give you 30.00 and that will be the end of it, well no I want my statements, it has been over 40 days now and still no statements what can I do now ????

Can not take them to court yet as dont know how much I can claim, as I need my statements ???

But I will be doing, robbing bastards.................. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
You dont stand a chance with the MBNA.

Those are the last people i would get involved with, they make loan sharks seem reasonable.

I know quite a few people who have delt with the MBNA, and every time they have come off worse off.

Pay them off and get rid of them or you will regret it.

thanks for the advice, I have paid off the account thats why I have no statements but they as you say real gitts, so I will pursue my claim as they where the robbing bastards that got me in a mess about 6 years ago.................. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Remind them of their responsibilities under the data protection act, you will probably have to pay a tenner, but they cannot refuse, if they persist in doing so, the fine is enormous. MBNA are very aggressive, but they are not above the law.

From the http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk

If you do not know the amount that they owe you over the past 6 years, then write to them asking for a comprehensive list of charges. Make sure that they are aware that they are obliged under the Data Protection Act (1998 ) to furnish you with this information within 40 days of receipt of the request. If they deny that bank statement information is covered by the act, refer them to the Durant v FSA (2004) case, in which the judge presiding ruled that ALL bank statement information is personal information and is indeed covered by the Data Protection Act.

yes i have been on money expert and done all the stages on the list, and under the 40 day act they should provide me with my statements and it is well over 40 days now, I have written to them again saying I will not accept the 30.00 that wa offered to me and I want my statements, so its really what to do next............

There was an advert in The Mirror the other day. A firm offering no win no fee to get your bank charges back for you.

no win no fee, hmm, should that not be we win you no fee?

in alot of no win no fee cases, where you do win you hardly get anything, since the comp\any take a high % as admin and there fee, in short dont touch them.

have a google, loads of interesting reading

In 4 years i've been charged £30.

There was a bloke on watchdog who said he was trying to claim back thousands of pounds in unfair bank charges over the last 6 years or so. His finances must be REALLY MESSED UP ffs. His own stupid fault surely. The banks only charge when you do something they dont like. Keeping your finances in check, money where its needed, when its needed - they wont charge you full stop. :rolleyes:

Reminds me of the compo adverts - I was poking myself in the eye one day with a stick . . . . and it went in! . . . I was blinded in one eye. I got £***** in compo, and they've even sawn off the sharp end of the stick so it wont happen again!

We regularly get charged 30 quid for a few pence overdrawn... the actual cost to the banks is £2.50 maximum.

Is that extra £27.50 fair?

securespark said:
We regularly get charged 30 quid for a few pence overdrawn... the actual cost to the banks is £2.50 maximum.

These kind of debates rage on for pages and pages over in the MSE forums. Personally I'm with you on this but then again I am crap with money.
Got my money back from Natwest tho. Only £300 over 6 years but every time I was overdrawn by piddly amounts.

To all thinking of claiming I say go for it now while the wind is blowing the right way.

Crafty said:
The banks only charge when you do something they dont like. Keeping your finances in check, money where its needed, when its needed - they wont charge you full stop.

Really? The HALIFAX once charged me £30 for being overdrawn by 11p for just a few hours. Hardly a fair charge.

securespark said:

How do you work that out. I agree £30 is too high, but £2.50, where does that come from. The actual raw financial cost to a bank is zero, however it costs money to develop the IT systems that automatically generate the letters, the fine etc. Also someone has to look at the list of accounts which are in breach of their OD limits etc, but I've no idea how much this actually costs per customer. Nor do the banks I suspect.

The point that Crafty makes about it's your own stupid fault, has some mileage, in that the T's & C's are clearly laid out to the customer prior to opening an account, however the law states that financial insitutions are only allowed to charge fee's that accurately reflect their costs, this is where the bugbear is, in that the charges levied are not a fair or accurate reflection of the costs incurred.

Sponsored Links
Back