Class 1 sewer? How deep?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We have a Class 1 sewer running through our back garden: I believe it's a private sewer transferred to the water company's ownership in 2011.

Any idea how deep these typically run? Trying to get my head round potential single-storey extension headaches, to build within 3 metres but not over it!

TIA!

Sponsored Links
There is no rule, it could be almost any depth. Find a couple of manholes in either direction which will give you an idea. if its unclear you may need to do a trace.

My Brother lived in a 1930s three bedroom semi and he had a mysterious feature in his garden, it was a little cast iron "manhole" sort of thing but 6" square. When he tried to replace his garage with a proper side extension to his house, he found out that he had a 6m diameter sewer running under his garage and down the side of the garden. It turns out the cast iron feature is a "Lamp Hole", you dangle a candle down it to see if there are dangerous gases down there?
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back