Clean as you go

drives me mad. Most of our work is external, and as such is on show to the rest of the street who see the van parked there every day. Neighbours are always nosey, so i insist that every thing is kept as clean and tidy as possible while working (avoids possibility of accidents as well) and at the end of the day. People notice and like it.

My dad always used to say to me the most important tool is the broom.

Sponsored Links
I have a cracking broom one of the best ever made had it twenty years now only ever had 3 new heads and 2 new handles :LOL: old ones are the best

I remember one episode of Grand Designs where this German company was building a pre-fab, Huf house. The guys worked like robots through the day, cleaning up as they went and then spent the last 1/2hr taking all their tool boxes apart, cleaning them and re-organising their screws, straightened up the entire site, even pulled the vans apart to clean under the seats, mats, glove box etc..

I'm not in a trade, but I've had trades in to work on my house. Of the three that I've had in, it was the one who didn't clean up after himself who's work has been sloppy.

I've since used the other two on further jobs and recommended them to friends. Not so the messy bloke!

I done a full c/heating installation last month,and every day 30 min before i was leaving i would get the hoover and go over were id worked.I was upstairs and the customer and her mother were talking to a neighbour and the mother said"I told you didnt i,every night,that lad hoovers up and cleans up,he even keeps clean trainers for just in the house".I do keep a pair of trainers,just for inside,so no muck gets in off me.I got the neighbours job as well,for after xmas.I also got a job,just by opening my van to get my tape measure out my box and the woman seen how everything was in order and tidy.

Sponsored Links
I always clean as I go, and give a hoover round before I go home, as thats the way I work, but annoys me when other trades leave thier krap around, and cause I am the last one to leave I am sort of expected to clean it up. :evil:

Cleaning up is a must or you end up tripping over bits all over the floor,I also put my tools back in their places so when I next need them hey presto there they are :D Have worked with others on site and nothing worse that "Oh can I just borrow this or borrow that" ok as long as you put it back,turn round to look for it later and spend 20mins searching for it.Really gets on my nerves.
Even been told that Im too orgainised :eek: didn't think there was such a thing.
So funny watching some of them working and searching for a bit of kit and they've got their arse on it :LOL:
I also spend 5 mins at end of day with a cup of tea making a quick list in order of priority for the next day. ;)

Back