Cleaning concealed shower unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've got this concealed shower unit which says I need to clean the water cartridge filter. It's 9 years old so I was considering the thermostatic valve.

I can't seem to remove either! I am hoping that I don't need to remove the silver face plate as this is stuck fast to the wall!

Can any one help please

IMG_20210823_132016.jpg
IMG_20210823_130828.jpg
IMG_20210820_161838.jpg
IMG_20210820_161829.jpg

Sponsored Links
As you can see you have 2 locking nuts, you need access to those. Chances are they are sitting behind the plate or at least the plate will need to come off so you can see and access the fittings properly. The plate is usually fixed in place with silicone and should come off with a bit of persuasion.

1. You will need to unscrew the chrome surround from the on / off valve, then remove the chrome rectangular plate from the wall.
2. If the plate has been attached to the wall with silicone sealant, use a knife with a sharp flexible blade to cut through the sealant.
3. However, I can't see from the diagram where the filter(s) might be. The only logical place is on the hot and cold inlets to the thermostatic valve. If they are there, I doubt you will be able to access them.

Hi thanks for the responses. Sadly the plate is fixed using grout. I guess when they fitted it I didn't question access.
A dremal tool and precision will now be required. Then I can fix it using silicone.

A job for next week

Sponsored Links
1. If it has been fixed with grout, this is likely to be only around the edges.
2. I'm still not convinced you will be able to get at the filters even after removing the plate and the rest of the works. These are likely to be inside the connection points for the incoming hot and cold supplies, and may well be inaccessible without severe disruption to the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back