Cleaning old cement off a mixer drum

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, what do you use to clean old concrete & cement from the inside & outside of a cement mixer drum and frame?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Carefully peck away at it with a brick hammer and sack the labourer.

Agree!!

Nothing worse than the labourer leaving it harden in the mixer.

OP, I remember a time there was a fire lite in the drum to loosen it all up.

We had to hoy in bricks and water after the mix and keep the thing turning - or risk a bouncing by the boss :eek:
If its a Belle, replacement drums are available if its totally goosed.
John :)

Sponsored Links
When I've bought second hand ones in a distressed condition I've found that running them for 20 minutes with 50mm sized broken bricks and water etc helps take the hard work out of it, but kiss goodbye to any paint that might have been clinging on.

Thanks for the replies. For some reason I though someone would tell me there is a magic acid or something I could spray on then power wash off lol. Life's rarely that simple eh?

On the same subject, best way of actually cleaning it after a mix (particularly if you haven’t got a labourer)? Pea gravel/broken bricks? Brush and elbow grease? Hose jet?
Always admire it when you see one that looks like new, still orange inside. Mine sadly doesn’t.

On the same subject, best way of actually cleaning it after a mix (particularly if you haven’t got a labourer)? Pea gravel/broken bricks? Brush and elbow grease? Hose jet?
Always admire it when you see one that looks like new, still orange inside. Mine sadly doesn’t.
We may throw a couple of bricks in but more often than not its a hose on the jet setting.

The important thing is to tip the mixer forward so that the drum is horizontal and then the actual sides and blades get cleaned. If you just leave the mixer tipped back, only the back is cleaned and the mortar builds up around the blades.

The other important thing is the rinse it properly. Tip the mixer up and hose or throw a bucket of water in so that it washed straight back out.

The important thing is to tip water immediately into the drum the moment it is emptied of muck and then run the customers leccy bill up a few quid by letting the mixer drone on for 25 mins.

The important thing is to tip water immediately into the drum the moment it is emptied of muck and then run the customers leccy bill up a few quid by letting the mixer drone on for 2

Do you still do that if you're putting a mix on every 90 minutes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back