Cleaning Wooden Floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just had a bedroom skimmed and the plasterers left a load of mess and dust on the floorboards. I've scraped off and brushed up most of the chunks and dust but there is still loads more dust that needs cleaning.

Can somebody recommend a way to clean the floorboards, I've got a steam cleaner that I was thinking of using but not sure if the water will affect the wood.

Also, a load of dust and chunks of plaster/rubbish has fallen through the gaps between each floorboard. Would it be a good idea to lift some floorboards and hoover up all the muck before I lay down carpet/other flooring?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As you're intending to lay carpet or other flooring, you might just be worrying too much over this.

If you really want to have a go, then you could try the steam cleaner, and then just let the boards dry afterwards.

If you lift some of the floorboards, you'll just find all the muck that the builders have dropped down there over the years, so I wouldn't bother with this at all

As you're intending to lay carpet or other flooring, you might just be worrying too much over this.

If you really want to have a go, then you could try the steam cleaner, and then just let the boards dry afterwards.

If you lift some of the floorboards, you'll just find all the muck that the builders have dropped down there over the years, so I wouldn't bother with this at all

The main reason why I want to clear it is because suffers from asthma and he will be sleeping in that room. Since the skimming was done his asthma flared up and I assumed the excess dust, etc was the cause of this.

You're right, lifting the floorboards probably is over the top, I was thinking all that rubbish and dust may affect his asthma as it could seep through the carpets. I might just leave that part out come to think of it

Sponsored Links
Whilst the dust could come up through the carpets, it won't get through the underlay. Part of your sons flare up, will be due to the increased moisture in the room, as well as the dust in the air. When you plaster a wall etc, the surface of the plaster is wetted, so seals in most of the dust, but there'll still be a little dust on the surface. As soon as the ceiling's dry, paint it with a fifty fifty mix of water and emulsion to seal the plaster, then you can put a couple of top coats of emulsion on, and the asthma attacks should stop.

Under the circumstances, using a steam cleaner on the floor boards has it's merits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back