Clear varnish on American White Oak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I recently had American White Oak installed pretty much everywhere, doors, door frames, door architraves, skirting boards, stair spindles.

Wanted to find out which clear varnish I should use. i've looked at the Sadolin range but am confused if I should go for the Polyurethane clear varnish with teflon SATIN finish or the normal clear satin finish.

i've been told I need to do 3 coats on everything but not sure which one I should go for.

Any of you experts suggest or recommend which varnish to go for.......

Sponsored Links
I would wax and not varnish. However , of the two the differences there are toughness and resiliance. I would go for the teflon finish. Also ,take a look at the Osmo range of wood treatments.

Hi

thanks for replying back.

Alot of people that I have spoken to including the door manufactures they all said not to wax and use clear varnish.

Even when I've googles searched it recommends clear varnish ESP on doors and pretty much says not to use wax.

I don't know why but would like to keep the beauty of the wood.

If you're looking for a finish that's going to offer you a high level of protection while at the same time, a bit of depth of colour then I can't see far past Polyurethane Varnish Gloss, Satin or Matt .

However if you have a large amount of spare time on your hands, applying 3 coats Shellac Sanding Sealer (sanded back in between coats) and finishes off with Superwax Polish and OOOO steelwool gives the best looking finish anyone could achieve.

Hope this helps

WM

Sponsored Links
Hi

Thanks for the recommendation. Is there any particular brand I should be looking out for or can you recommend one, esp on the Superwax Polish.

Also would you use a brush or sponge to apply the shellac, same goes with the polish. This part is all new to me hence the questions.

Also in terms of long term protection or wear and tear, how often will the polish need to be reapplyed.

Finally, my doors are finished already from manufacture, clear varnish so by apply the polish to the door frames, arhcitraves, skirting boards, spindles and handrail, will you be able to notice the diiference in shade between the doors and everything else?

Thanks

Put OSMO in Google, you won't go far wrong with that.

Hi All

I purchased a test pot of the Osmo Polyx Oil Clear Satin and a small pot of Shellac

The result was excellent compared to the Clear Varnish.

I think I will now go down this route. Before I purchase the tins wanted some advised

In terms of prep work do I

Fill the holes etc in with Wax stick
Sand down
Apply Shellac with cloth or sponge and wait till it dries
Sand back using 0000 Steel wool
Apply shellac and then sand back
Apply final coat of shellac....sand back
and then apply a coat, one or two of the Osmo.

is there anything else I need to do or be aware of

Also what is the best way to fill the holes in with the Wax stick and what colour will I need for the American White Oak.

Thanks

Hi

I recently had American White Oak installed pretty much everywhere, doors, door frames, door architraves, skirting boards, stair spindles.

Wanted to find out which clear varnish I should use. i've looked at the Sadolin range but am confused if I should go for the Polyurethane clear varnish with teflon SATIN finish or the normal clear satin finish.

i've been told I need to do 3 coats on everything but not sure which one I should go for.

Any of you experts suggest or recommend which varnish to go for.......

Nice to hear about that White Oak.But if i were you ...consult the expert installer for your White Oak i'm pretty sure that they can help on what and how to apply it...
Good luck...

Hi

The problem with them is that there useless. Everytime ive asked the reply I get back is its your choice. Everyone has their own choice of colour, method so its really up to you........

So not much help.

Hence why I turned to this forum for advise.

It's all a matter of choice. My preference is pure beeswax, 3 coats worked into the grain with a circular motion, each a day apart. It can then be maintained with a beeswax rich furniture polish. Can you get a decent size piece of oak from your suppliers and try several methods, then decide. No one can say they have the best idea, its all down to personal preference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back