Clearance around shower tray

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Executive summary:

Is there a minimal gap which I should leave between my resin shower tray and my floor tiles? Do I need to allow for thermal expansion for example?

I'm having the devil of a time sorting out my shower tray and in retrospect a should have done things in a different order, but I am where I am.

I decided that in order to minimise the step into the shower I would fit the tray to the floor and tile round it. Sadly, for reasons to lengthy to bother with here, I cut the tiles and fitted them before fixing the tray. I am confident that I cut everything correctly, because I did a dry run and everything was fine. Sadly, whilst the tile glue was setting, one of the tiles next to the tray move slightly. The effect of this was that the tray wouldn't quite fit. I got my tile file and managed to trim the tile very slightly and I can now get the tray in, but only just. Now, this might be OK, but when I cut everything I left a gap of around 5mm between the tray and the tiles which I intended to fill with silicone sealant. With this one tile that gap is now down to 0mm.

So, is this a problem? And if so, what should I do about it?

I could try and file the entire edge of the tile, but I can see that taking all weekend because since the tile is laid there is not much room to operate the file.

I could try to take the tile out and fit a new one, but I have got Dukkaboard underneath and I am concerned that since that doesn't seem very strong, if I try to chisel the tile out the Dukkaboard will come apart.

I could buy a tile router, but they are not cheap.

Or, I could take my wife's advice and just stop worrying about it and press on and get the damned shower re-installed before she goes completely mad!

Sponsored Links
i'd agree with the wife unless the tile looks really bad - if its way out of line you'll notice it forever and it will always bother you!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back