Clicking Noise from Electric Meter Box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I noticed late last night and then again this morning (6am ish) that there is a loud clicking noise coming from the digital electric meter box. It was replaced a year or two ago and has only just started doing this. It sounds like a relay which is clicking on and off. Occasionally you will hear a noise which sounds like something shorting or struggling to make an electrical connection. When this happens, the digital display is swapping between the [1] rate and the [4] rate, which I believe are the day/night rates. Not sure if it was doing this during the night as I was in the land of nod.

My thoughts are to call E.ON and get them to have a butchers.

Anyone experienced this or know what might be the cause?

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the control of the meter between Peak and Off peak is failing.

You need the metering department of you supplier to send an engineer to sort it out.

Is there a separate time clock ? ( does the meter have just 4 thick wires going to it or are there 4 thick and one or two small wires from another box which will be the time clock.

If it is a separate time clock then either the timer is faulty or the connection from timer to meter is loose.

If it is a radio controlled switch such as teleswitch which uses signals sent on the BBC long wave transmitter then something large and metallic in the cupboard may be shielding the signal ( very unlikely but not impossible ).

My two rate meter changes between day and night displays every few seconds

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back