Clipping the end of a steel / Structural Issue

Sponsored Links
A 50 or 75 mm deep wall plate will not shrink by much, at least in so far as it won't be noticed or have an effect on the structure.
So why such a fuss about padstones material, if it's OK to plonk a supporting steel beam on wood? Doesn't make sense to me.

I can see the need for a beam say at first floor in the midst of lots of masonry/plastered surfaces where even a mm or so of movement can cause cracks etc here and there but at roof level with the rest of the structure in timber that's all gonna shrink and settle and sag a bit it's less of an issue. But I'm no engineer.

Sponsored Links
So why such a fuss about padstones material, if it's OK to plonk a supporting steel beam on wood? Doesn't make sense to me.
Most inspectors (and not a few SEs) seem to have a mindset that "steel beam = concrete padstone". But that's only necessary if the beam is heavily loaded. Up at roof level, the loads are unlikely to be high so the pressure at the bearing may not be very much. See FMT above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back