Clipping the end of a steel / Structural Issue

Yes but you can get that same with timber? this is just a steel ridge beam and a steel rafter

Sponsored Links
Yes but you can get that same with timber? this is just a steel ridge beam and a steel rafter
How would you join the two timbers? That steel frame works because of the welded rigid joint.

even know its a vaulted ceiling, you could still replace that steel structure and still have normal timber rafters which could support a normal ridge beam and hip??
1674124873348.png

Sponsored Links
yes its vaulted so need to restrain etc but the steel in the photo offers no benefit that i can see versus doing it in timber is all my question is

yes its vaulted so need to restrain etc but the steel in the photo offers no benefit that i can see versus doing it in timber is all my question is
How would you achieve a rigid joint between the timbers? One that could be calculated.

Thanks, yeah its a vaulted ceiling. Been told that we need to padstone the internal wall to replace any load on the hip rafter, and we need to split the timber wall-plate and padstone above the window. 

Attachments

• 20230114_154832.jpg
    20230114_154832.jpg
    464.9 KB · Views: 31
Who said you have to split the wall plate to padstone the bearing - SE or building inspector?

If the load is not excessive, its perfectly OK to seat a steel beam direct on the wall plate. The timber design codes give allowable bearing pressures on timber members perpendicular to the grain.

A 102 wide beam seated on a 100 wide C16 timber wall plate will support a load of around 20kN without the timber crushing - a little more if the beam is supporting a roof. This trick is often of use in loft conversions, where there is a lot of timber studwork which might be required to support a steel ridge beam.

If the load is a little more than the maximum allowed for the timber, you can slip an offcut of steel plate 12.5mm thick under the beam as an enlarged bearing plate = like a steel padstone.

What happens to all of those timbers that are supported off the steel that shrink too?
I'm sure SE's have constants/predictables like masonry, steel and concrete, that they can rely upon. Why would you make a pad-stone out of rock hard materials only for it to shrink? lol.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back