clocks

andrew2022 said:
i remembered at 11.30 last nite just as i was goin 2 bed. just aswell since i was at work at 8AM thismornin
You are a good lad !! I usually think about bed at 3 or 4 am, with a 6am start time (thank god I can hide well ;) ;) )

Sponsored Links
Speaking of clocks being changed, can anybody help me name an old black and white film? It began on the deck of a ship which was sailing West so every night at around midnight the captain stopped the ship's clocks for an hour. Two passengers decided that, since time had stopped, they could do whatever they wanted until the clock started up again!!!

I switched off at this point but now I'm puzzled.

PS: Coming back to reality, I've nevr actually been awake/sober when our clocks go back. What happens on all night TV? Do they repeat the last hour's programming?

Scoby_Beasley said:
andrew2022 said:
i remembered at 11.30 last nite just as i was goin 2 bed. just aswell since i was at work at 8AM thismornin
You are a good lad !! I usually think about bed at 3 or 4 am, with a 6am start time (thank god I can hide well ;) ;) )

we had a bookin turn up l8 aswell. they didnt change the clocks so turned up at 1.30, instead of 12.30

i used to do night shifts when i was a copper, and i can assure you that nothing great happens on night time tv! Still we used to get to go home early when the clocks went forward, but got an hours overtime when they went back! (you used to get several ****ed clubbers getting very confused though. Probably why the change happens at two because of the licensing laws) :D

Sponsored Links
WoodYouLike said:
masona said:
Are we the only nation (UK) in the world for the clock 1 hour adjustment?

No, of course not ;) UK is the only one (no, make that together with Portugal) to have the clocks changes at 1.00 am, the rest of Europese mainland has done that at 2.00 am.
(But being there is a 1 hour time-difference between here and ther, it all happende at the same moment ;)

Why do you ask ?

I was once told we change the clocks at 2-00am because of babies. If a baby was born at 12-00, as the clocks changed, their birthday would effectively be the previous day. Same thing with deaths I suppose too.

Don't know if its an old wives tale or not though.

Why hasnt anybody changed the forum clock its now an hour slow?????

we used to get to go home early when the clocks went forward, but got an hours overtime when they went back!

Nice one Thermo. Pity it only happened once a year. Then again, maybe not. Think of all those plonkers going bonkers for an hour because they thought time had stopped. How the MDMA fuelled brain would deal with this is anybody's guess!

I used to have a man in to change the clocks in our house, but he left after I thrashed him for forgetting to move the sundial.

One clock that hasn't been changed to BST is the DIY.not forum clock ;)

So the consensus seems to be, most people think it is a silly exercise, but most people also like to have daylight until late at night.

I have a solution that fulfills both sides of the debate: Move the country south until we are in the tropics.

Do they have daylight saving in the tropics I wonder? ;)

AdamW said:
I have a solution that fulfills both sides of the debate: Move the country south until we are in the tropics.

Sorry Adam, but that wouldn't solve anything. South = at the equator, means as many hours light as dark per day.

:p :p :p

WoodYouLike is quite correct. The only two places you can have 24 hour daylight are within the Arctic/Antarctic circles. You have to keep moving towards the pole as the equinox approaches then comes the tricky bit. As the sun spirals down to the horizon you have to move to the opposite pole where it will be spiraling up. The snag to all this is that it's b****y freezing.

There's a better way but we lack the technology to do it. Tilt the planet over until its axis lies in the ecliptic plane like Uranus. Everything works out much better that way. At a pole, the sun is directly overhead at the summer solstice and slowly spirals down towards the horizon at the autumn equinox. This is when you swap poles.

As far as I know, they do have daylight saving in the tropics. It works just the same.

The UTC system that the signal is synch'd to can be +- 1 sec out to GMT as they have to add/subtract leap seconds as necessary so far they've just had to add.
the latest technology will they say be accurate to 1 second every 10 billion years(roughly the age of the universe) that's pretty damn accurate :)
Radio controlled clocks run off batteries usually check every 1 to 2 hrs(to conserve power) so if changeover clashes then your alarm may not go off if set close to that time.
wristwatch's are even worse, they check approx three times a day.

Sponsored Links
Back