Clouds of steam.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We just had a Worcester Greenstar condensing combi fitted in our cellar and every time it fires we have large clouds of steam rising past our living-room window. Is it possible to duct this away or to make it disperse faster?

Sponsored Links
mmmm condensate, you should have been warned of the plume before he fitted it,
*shrug* I don't know what fluing options the greenstar has so I'll leave it to sombody who does</spam>

DarkInferno said:
mmmm condensate, you should have been warned of the plume before he fitted it,
*shrug* I don't know what fluing options the greenstar has so I'll leave it to sombody who does</spam>

have you seen the glowworm 'plume management kit'? I thought it was an early april fools joke. it just looks like some inventive plumber has stuck pushfit pipe on the flue! The corgi man i spoke to said it looked similar to many homemade bodges which appear in the gas installer!

Sponsored Links
Nothing available from Bosch to go on the flue terminal and you cant fit anything not aproved by the manafacture but the greenstar has a lot of flueing options at 100mm dia and more if you go up to 125mm dia, basicaly the flue can go upto around 15m high depending on the model. You can only fit the terminal outside of the property the flue and bends are internal only. Just rememberd the greenstar fires up at first in syphon fill mode thats to say low power ,you will see two brackets flashing on and off on the temp display ,this can be turned off by going into the boilers service parameters, your installer should be able to do it if not give full boiler details and what controlls you have such as worcesters txt display and tr2 stat

Are you sure it's smart to turn off syphon-fill?
One of the problems with some steamers is that when they're used mostly for HW (ie. at full power) the syphon dries out (because the boiler never condenses) and you get combustion products out of the condense line!!!

At least before changing it, check that it DOES spend a reasonable amount of time in condense mode in normal operation.

Good point about the syphon drying out , allthough the green star has a trap before the syphon ,thats why an aditional trap in the line with no air inlet can stop it running (too much resistance), if he has the txt display and tr2 then he will have pre heat for the water to water ,that should top up the trap if required but if he has no tr2 then very litle pre heat. Best bet is probably to get Worcester to check it out it may need commissioning properly anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back