CLS and Plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, planning on building a simple internal stud wall couple of questions;

1 - CLS vs planed timber, any real advantage beside rounded edges - seems costly
2 - Read somewhere you should double plasterboard, is that a regulation or just preference in certain cases

Thank you

Sponsored Links
CLS is cheaper than PSE.
You only need to double plaster board/use fire board when you need a 30 minute fire barrier.

1 - CLS vs planed timber, any real advantage beside rounded edges - seems costly
The plasterboards don't care what they are being fixed to. CLS is cheaper than planed timber and better to work with in terms of handling. The rounded edges can be a pain when making precise measurements or where a keen corner is necessary.

2 - Read somewhere you should double plasterboard, is that a regulation or just preference in certain cases
We will double board where the proposed wall of one thickness meets a thicker wall or where the travel of sound needs limiting.
Hello, planning on building a simple internal stud wall
Just try not to over-complicate it.

Sponsored Links
CLS is cheaper than planed timber and better to work with in terms of handling.

Can you expand Noseall? I see a lot of cut roofs going up in planed timber and have done a few myself. Always thought it was an extravagant use of planed timber but I've never seen much price difference between the two when buying, say, 47mm x 145mm. How is CLS better to handle - grippier? but don't you get more splinters?

How is CLS better to handle - grippier? but don't you get more splinters?

In a nutshell - yes. Zero splinters and no keen edges to cause abrasive cuts when you are sliding your hundredth length through your hands. Much better measuring to the old rough sawn stuff though rather than those curved edges.

Can you expand Noseall? I see a lot of cut roofs going up in planed timber and have done a few myself. Always thought it was an extravagant use of planed timber but I've never seen much price difference between the two when buying, say, 47mm x 145mm. How is CLS better to handle - grippier? but don't you get more splinters?

Are you getting CLS mixed up with PAR? From a distance CLS can look like planed and you wont get splinters from CLS like sawn. Can you even get sawn anymore other than fencing?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back