Outbuilding new ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The stay at home situation has made me think about sorting out a home office pretty sharpish, and I plan to finish an outbuilding conversion started by previous owners. They had trades in and got most of the way there apart from the ceiling.

IMG_4876.JPG

My plan is to keep things simple and frame across at level of wall plates. I've seen a few posts about doing this with 3x2 CLS at 400 centres (first fixing lengths of CLS to walls level all round) and would then using 12mm tapered plasterboard, taping and jointing. Does this sound sensible? I've done decent-sized stud walls but this is my first ceiling. Questions I have are:

• Do I need to use joist hangers or just get the new rafters nice and tight and nail?
  • should I frame across perpendicularly above for stiffness?
  • I can run timbers up to existing rafters for support to reduce sag: what rough centres would be good for this?
  • Which direction to go for new rafters: room is pretty close to square.
Thanks All for any advice,

Stu

Sponsored Links
Why not just board out the structure you already have? Just add plenty of noggins between existing timbers to screw the boards to and reduce any flex.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back