Clutch slipping?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks

We have an old VW Sharon 14yrs its got 62 thousand miles on the clock and its a 20 litre turbo desiel I have recently noticed it starting to slip when changing gear
( mainly 3rd gear) I would like to know how urgent this is really as the car drives fine at the moment and we don't do a lot of miles generally.

Sponsored Links
For sure, the problem won’t go away but if you drive so that the clutch isn’t made to slip it won’t let you down.....make sure the clutch is fully up before giving it some accellerator.
Budget for a new dual mass flywheel at the same time when the inevitable happens.
John :)

Drive it like you have an egg on top of the accelerator pedal!

Make sure anyone who drives the vehicle only puts their foot on the clutch pedal when changing gear, setting off or stopping. Don't let anyone drive around his g the clutch pedal as a footrest.

(Took the ex 2 new clutch's to find that out.)

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys
I don't tend to put my foot down much these days so hopefully it will last a while longer.

I have had slipping clutches last many thousands of miles by doing as John says, driving in such a way that you don't let it slip.

Peter

Looking at £750-1000 for a decent replacement (clutch, dmf and slave if it's inside). Really a question of how many more years you want out of the car, it's probably due a cambelt change on age grounds as well if it hasn't had one.

My 2010 Touran needs a clutch/dmf and a cambelt and I've just bought a low mileage 2008 Golf that needs both - I'm probably looking at nearly £2000 for the lot unless I have a go myself. But given that both cars are in excellent condition and should have at least 5 reliable years left in them it's worth the "investment".

If you're in there changing clutch, etc it's worth renewing the clutch guide tube. Not an expensive part, but worth doing at the same time. When I had the clutch, DMF and guide tube replaced on my 2004 Scudo van because clutch was slipping, I had the crank oil seal done as well. Again, it's a cheap part and worth doing while it's accessible. Would be a right pain if it started leaking after clutch job was completed.

Sponsored Links
Back