CO risk with all boilers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
May be a silly question but is there a CO risk with all boiler types?
It is time I updated our carbon monoxide alarm but I don't know if all boiler types need one?
We have a Baxi Megaflow in our utility room with the tank on the landing....

Your advice is welcomed.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
With new boilers, the risk is minimal as the combustion is sealed from the room - air is drawn in from outside, fuel is burnt and the results are expelled outside.
For CO or anything else to leak into the building would require that the case seal was defective or the flue damaged - and even then there is a good possibility of the boiler not actually working due to safety devices which monitor the air pressure inside.

Open gas fires, wood stoves and the like typically use air from the room for combustion, so CO is a much greater risk there. They are the ones where it is essential that there is a suitable means for fresh air to enter the room, such as a suitable vent in the wall. Persons blocking vents like that because of the cold draft put themselves and others at serious risk.

There were boilers which were open to the room, but they should have all been replaced long ago.

Thanks Flameport. Very clear on the boiler front - so understood.

We do have a relatively old gas fire on the lounge (which we do not use) so perhaps we should have one installed in the lounge 'just in case'.

regards, Calva

First of all it most definetly is not a silly question. Flameport is exactly right BUT for the price I think it's a good idea to have CO alarms and smoke alarms. We only live in a smallish bungalow but I have 2 smoke and two CO. They are cheap enough and what price a life.

Sponsored Links
Calvados, do you have your gas appliances serviced?

Fitting CO alarms is a good idea but regular servicing, particularly on open flues appliances is essential.

Hi, good question.

We recently had the boiler serviced (because it kept losing pressure) but we have never serviced the gas fire (the only one in the house). As I said earlier we never use it - I only used it once 7 years ago when we moved in just to check it worked. I'm guessing we should that serviced intermittently too then regardless of it being used?
And perhaps leave the CO alarm near the fire or by the Baxi (both of which are on the ground floor).

Any appliance that burns fuel should have a CO alarm near it, just in case.

As said above, for the cost is it worth the risk?.

I suppose I should be grateful that our boiler in outside in our garage!

CO detector is over the top for a combi boiler and not a substitute for regular servicing.

Every house should have a CO detector for less than £10 why would even second guess it?

CO detector is over the top for a combi boiler and not a substitute for regular servicing.

Well you do the clowns who should know better suggesting the idiot course of course of action. BUY A B****Y CO detector or three they are dirt cheap FFS.

not convinced a CO detector is a good thing..Gives false sense of safety.still have customers who have the spot variety of detector.Some battery powered ones are way out of date.why not fit one in your car FFS

not convinced a CO detector is a good thing..Gives false sense of safety

The correct type of CO detector will reduce the risk of death by CO poisoning. I agree the wrong type of detector could give a false sense of safety.

The alarm by itself will not save a life, the life is saved by knowing what to do when the alarm activates.

Every room with a gas appliance(or any fuel burning appliance) should have a co alarm.
As said above for the cost why wouldn’t you have one???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back