Coach bolts for fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After doing all the prep work I'm about to start building a fence this weekend but are yet to buy the bolts.

I will be bolting wooden CANT rails to mild steel posts that have been painted.

What are the best type of bolts to use in comparison to cost? Zinc plated, galvanised or stainless steel?

Cheers,
James

Sponsored Links
I prefer stainless. Grease the threads whatever you use.

If you are using coach bolts you MUST have a square socket to grip the head or it will just spin uselessly when you turn the nut.

Also look at studding (allthreads) which you can cut to the exact length you need.

Thanks.
The squares will be biting into the wood on the outside of the rail and the feather edge boards will be going over the top. So saying that the studding might be a better idea and sink them in a little

'mmm

squares in wood tend to rotate and make the hole round.

Sponsored Links
The square on the coach bolt is designed to do exactly that.....hold the thing while you tighten the nut up.
As JD suggests, the only way you'll easily undo them again - if you need to - is to use stainless gear and some grease.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back