Coffee. How do you take yours?

Sponsored Links
MugOfCoffee.jpg

With a bit of milk using this

Whoops
SetUp.jpg

But that was upgraded :( and the new machine has broken but will be repaired or replaced shortly.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
What’s the replacement for the Barista?

Same make but dual boiler. The drink is from 9g of a very oily bean. About a 35ml shot topped up with water. I didn't actually use the scales much but to get it to produce the same shot every time needed some very very small adjustments of the grinder timer. :rolleyes: I found the setting by looking for a very small pip on the used puck from the screw that holds the shower screen in. If it went, more grind time, if too big less. This only works with beans that need a very fine grind.

The dual boiler was used as wasn't sure about it. 3 years and it's broke. Looks like an electrical fault as it overheats. I've been using my wife's Tasimo for a while. Pods nearly gone so will be looking to see if I can fix it shortly. More caffeine out of the pods and a lot bitterer.

I feel for you, using the pods :eek: hahaha.

Let’s hope the dual boiler is fixable (cheaply).

One of the best investments I’ve found for any method of brewing, is freshly roasted beans and grind them yourself.

The difference between Supermarket packet coffee and The fresh stuff is huge.
Packet/pod coffee always Seems bitter In comparison.

George clooney can keep his Nespresso. :LOL:

I feel for you, using the pods :eek: hahaha.

Let’s hope the dual boiler is fixable (cheaply).

One of the best investments I’ve found for any method of brewing, is freshly roasted beans and grind them yourself.

The difference between Supermarket packet coffee and The fresh stuff is huge.
Packet/pod coffee always Seems bitter In comparison.

George clooney can keep his Nespresso. :LOL:

I've tried the supermarket coffees and only the dark roast Starbucks is what I like. If I see a stall at a farmers market I'll try some bean but they seem rubbish.... I think these outlets done sell enough coffee quick enough so not as fresh.

Can't stand Costa

Does anyone here have a preferred cup to drink their coffee from? I like to drink my espresso from my special espresso cups that I bought in Italy and my lungo's from a cup that I pinched from Sams café in Gare du midi in Brussels ten years ago. Like tea out of a bone China cup, it tastes soooo much better!

C2A36DAE-F05E-4247-A5AD-4265AA798E86.jpeg
E74D3A3F-461B-4E5A-B071-08C7B0790F5F.jpeg

I've tried the supermarket coffees and only the dark roast Starbucks is what I like. If I see a stall at a farmers market I'll try some bean but they seem rubbish.... I think these outlets done sell enough coffee quick enough so not as fresh.

Can't stand Costa

I think Starbuck's blond roast is better than their usual from their outlets that brew it properly. Costa vary more in that respect and they tried something like the blond roast idea and it was just weak crap.Their kiosks are the worst.

I have brewed a few packs of blond roast at home but otherwise drink fresh roasted. They make a big thing of only selling arabica beans. Less caffeine but they are exotic coffees so the taste can be rather surprising. As fresh roasted they cost more. The bean I drink most of needs keeping after it arrives for a few days until it gets glossy with oil.

I managed to get the Barista Express to produce accurate results with button pushes. No point in using scales for this and that as some do but only by always using the same bean. :rolleyes: I bought a 2nd grinder just to try different beans when I wanted to as the grinder is so tricky to set up. I went for their dual boiler as it still heats up quickly. 3min rather than 1/2hr or more on conventional machines. LOL They have a bad name for reliability though. Most manage 3years without problems. They are repaired free of charge for 2. There are some things people can do themselves such as changing seals that keep the water in. Best do that a little before 3 years or sooner but other things can bust. I get more variability out of it than the other machine. A thyristor may have gone on mine. I can fix that but it could be other things that I can't fix and Sage repairs are expensive. Tricky when a machine costs over £1000. But fact most have problems eventually. They can just be easier for diy repairs. If an engineer is needed the costs shoot up.

:D A lot of the grinder problems are down to liking a really oily bean. The settings change as the oil builds up in the grinder and then they are stable. Running a different bean through cleans the grinder up. They can also choke some grinders up. Grinders can be a pain anyway. Commercial burrs used in some take several kg of beans to run in. They can produce rather bitter drinks initially.

Crazy hobby as scale eventually messes machines up unless they are looked after. Cafe's use expensive water softening kit. The water needs to be very soft and can still cause problems - eventually.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back