Cold bathroom needs creative heating solution...

I wonder if a creative solution would be to run a copper loop off the top of a towel rail...?
Probably an awful lot of hassle, given that it would presumably have to be quite an extensive 'loop' but, yes, that would be equivalent to a larger towel rail and/or larger radiator - provided there was somewhere that the 'loop' could be located.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the comments! Never thought it would get this much…
To answer the question about the existing rad, it’s already quite tall and although Reina do make a taller rad at 750mm wide, the location of the pipes would mean the top ends up out of reach!
TBH I don’t see why a plinth heater fitted in the ceiling is such a bad idea. It would be switched by using a Quintric wireless switch and would provide a boost heat when someone is in the bathroom..
I did look at radiant heaters, but they are not especially discrete and the heat is very directional. When a body is wet i think you need warm air all round to feel comfortable.
I guess my main concern would be a) is the heater safe to operate vertically and b) I’d need to make a box around it so it doesn’t use super cold loft air to heat up..

What do you mean by 'the normal position' (in a bathroom)? Unlike kitchens, bathrooms often (usually?) don't have 'plinths'(unlesss there is one at the bottom of some item of 'bathroom furniture'.

Trying to heat any room from above, as per the OP's suggestion, is never likely to be a particularly good idea (unless one is a fly, and spends most of one's life on the ceiling ;) ).

Kind Regards, John
I would hope the fan heater would circulate warm air in the room. I was thinking to fit it at one end above the sink, so the user should get a nice warm blast of air as they do their whatever!

Although I didn't fully understand his comment, the OP wrote ....

... which I took to mean that, for whatever reason, he did not consider a larger radiator to be a practical option, particularly given that he presumably knows that a radiator would almost certainly be cheaper than a plinth heater.

Kind Regards, John
As I mentioned above, 750mm wide and 710 pipe centres is a very odd size, only Reina make that size and that’s what is fitted.

There are 12v low voltage plinth heaters, not a biggy https://thermix.co.uk/plinth-heaters/kph1400lv/

The installation manual doesn't explicitly rule out installing them the wrong way round but I'm not sure how well it would work.
That’s an interesting product. The boiler is in the loft space right above the bathroom, so theoretically it could plumb straight into he CH pipes. In reality all the bathroom needs is a top up.

As I mentioned above, 750mm wide and 710 pipe centres is a very odd size, only Reina make that size and that’s what is fitted.
Fair enough, but everything you're consider would surely require some degree of 'alterations' to the CH plumbing, so that 710mm pipe centres doesn't have to be 'set in stone', does it?

Kind Regards.

I would hope the fan heater would circulate warm air in the room.
It will 'pump' warm air into the room, but that will tend to heat the room 'from top downwards'

That's rather different from having a circulating fan within the room, which I would have thought should, by circulating air within the room, result in air throughout the room being heated much more rapidly.

Kind Regards, John

That’s an interesting product. The boiler is in the loft space right above the bathroom, so theoretically it could plumb straight into he CH pipes. In reality all the bathroom needs is a top up.
Fair enough but, as I wrote earlier, I see no reason why it needs to be a 12V one - and if you removed that restriction/requirement, you would have much more choice.n

Kind Regards, John

I guess my main concern would be a) is the heater safe to operate vertically
We;re only talking about the orientation of the fan, and I really can't see that making any difference. Let's face it. standard 'extractor fans can be (and are) installed in either ceilings or walls.
and b) I’d need to make a box around it so it doesn’t use super cold loft air to heat up..
Every plinth heater I've seen will use ('suck in') the air in it's immediate surroundings, so that might be an issue. However, to overcome that potential problem might be a fairly major issue/cvhallenge. Merely 'boxing it in' would not be an answer - for it to work at all, it would have to be able to draw in air (to heat up) from somewhere.

Kind Regards, John

We;re only talking about the orientation of the fan, and I really can't see that making any difference. Let's face it. standard 'extractor fans can be (and are) installed in either ceilings or walls.

Every plinth heater I've seen will use ('suck in') the air in it's immediate surroundings, so that might be an issue. However, to overcome that potential problem might be a fairly major issue/cvhallenge. Merely 'boxing it in' would not be an answer - for it to work at all, it would have to be able to draw in air (to heat up) from somewhere.

Kind Regards, John
Thanks John for your comments.
Unfortunatley, the wall is half tiled where the rad pipes come out, so that makes the rad replacement that more tricky.
I was thinking to box in the fan heater, above the joists, so that it could only draw air in from the room. It could be either electric or CH run. Probably electric is simpler to set up.

Unfortunatley, the wall is half tiled where the rad pipes come out, so that makes the rad replacement that more tricky.
Are you saying that the pipes enter the room through the tiled (rather than from under the floor)? Even if that is the case I would have thought that it would be possible to 'extend' one or both of the pipes after it/they enter the room (to accommodate a radiator of different dimensions) in a manner that was pretty inconspicuous, wouldn't it?
I was thinking to box in the fan heater, above the joists, so that it could only draw air in from the room.
You would have to examine the particular plinth heater, to see where it's 'air intake' (explicit or implicit) was. If it was (and only) 'at the front (i.e. through the same grille as air was being blown out of, what you suggest would be OK. However, although it's a long time since I've seen a 'not installed' plinth heather, I think you may well find that the entirety of the front ('grille') is used for 'blowing out', the air 'intake' being from back and/or sides of the heater - which would be fine in the 'intended'situation in which the entire unit was 'within the room' in question (under a bit of furniture). However, if it was like that and you effectively 'boxed in' ('airtight') the unit, it would have no real access to 'input air' and therefore would not work very well, if st sll, in pumping heated air into the room.
It could be either electric or CH run. Probably electric is simpler to set up.
Electric might be simpler to install, but would b much more expensive to run - and there would still be the issue of "where it was getting its input air from" (hence what temp that air would be).

Kind Regards, John

TBH I don’t see why a plinth heater fitted in the ceiling is such a bad idea. It would be switched by using a Quintric wireless switch and would provide a boost heat when someone is in the bathroom..

Nor I - The main factor is the bearings, and the bearings will be horizontal, whether plinth mounted, or ceiling mounted. You would of course have to carefully box it in, sealed to the loft air, with insulation over the top, and ensure it only draws in warm air from the bathroom. In practice, I cannot see the fact that it's at a height, will make much difference to the spread of heat - air curtains work fine in shop doors, and they are not that different.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back