Cold header tank Hot

Sponsored Links
have you got isolation valves on your shower :?:
Finally, I've got your meaning, er, I think.

What you're suggesting is that, regardless of whether the shower is on or not, cold water is indeed bypassing into the hot pipe and forcing hot water to backfeed through the CWS. This is exacerbated by the lack of check valves being installed. Since the cylinder will always have hot water in it, it will appear to be the case regardless of whether the HW or CH system is on.

In which case, the water level should be rising. In which case, op, can you advise as to whether or not your cold water tank has overflowed.

I am at work now i will have a look when i get home as the heating will be off and your theory tells me that the cold water header tank should still be leaking through the overflow.

After 1 1/2 hours of the system in service again this morning (ie the system being shut off all night) the radiators were up to temp but the hot water was only luke warm.

I also have a feeling that the the previous motorised valve was a three port diverter valve, and now the plumbers have fitted a mid position motorised valve when i asked them to change it.

Update i have phoned Honeywell and they say the fitting of the mid position valve would cause the problems I have.

Also thank you everyone for your help

Ok changed midpoint valve to diverter valve problem still exists with cold water tank heating up. NRVs in pipes to shower mixer tap, sink mixer has isolation valves. If i turn off the boiler and pump and use immersion heater to warm water and hot water does not back up to the cold water tank does this mean I have a burst heating coil in my hot water tank?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back