cold radiator and winter is coming

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I have recently had some work done on my system that involved draining the system but it now looks like i have a problem. All the radiators are getting hot except the one in the downstairs hallway which is cold and all the pipes going to it are cold aswell (leading me to believe it is not a physical blockage because surely the pipe feeding it would be at least warm) . I hear gurgling sometimes around the rads and the boiler sometime but have bleed all of them, got some air out but not much. what is the best way of dealing with this. I have already tried to force it through by turning off all the rads except that one but it didnt work. My system has a boiler in the kitchen hot water tank upstairs in the airing cupboard and cold tank in the loft......any ideas would be gratfully received.

Sponsored Links
If you have managed to get some air out of it (and replaced by water) then you can be satisfied that at least one of the pipes isn't blocked. To discount the obvious, are you sure that both valves are open?

EliteHeat said:
If you have managed to get some air out of it (and replaced by water) then you can be satisfied that at least one of the pipes isn't blocked. To discount the obvious, are you sure that both valves are open?

well to be honest the thermastat end is fully open (even took the thermastat off to make sure that pin wasnt getting stuck). but the other end im not too sure.......it was the end they used to attach a piece of hose to and drain out to the garden, i thought it was closed to let water pass through the system and open to let water pass out of the system i.e to drain down. Am i completely wrong and should i try and open up this valve???????????????????? its one of those valves i will need to use some grips/pliers on to open. let me know if you need more info
many thanks

Sponsored Links
It depends, some lockshields with combined drain-offs allow either the individual rad or the whole system to be drained, depending on whether the valve is open or closed.

You haven't actually said that you have one of these, but my money is on the fact the the valve is closed and not allowing any flow at all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back